Calculating Fmax in a Tennis Ball Collision

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of Fmax, the maximum value of the contact force during a collision between a tennis ball and a wall. The person is unsure of what route to take in solving the problem and considers using the equation Fnet=ma to find Fmax after finding the acceleration. They also mention a diagram that is attached to the conversation.
macgirl06
I am having trouble with this question, I know what I need to find, just don't know what route to take.

A 53.0 g tennis ball with an initial speed of 30.5 m/s hits a wall and rebounds with the same speed. The figure below shows the force of the wall on the ball during the collision. What is the value of Fmax, the maximum value of the contact force during the collision, if the force is applied for ti=26.4 ms?

I was wondering should I use Fnet=ma to find Fmax, but find acceleartion first

Any help would be great
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The figure doesn't work. You may want to post a link or something.

I have attached the diagram, its a word document

Attachments

• momentum.doc
    25 KB · Views: 205

Related to Calculating Fmax in a Tennis Ball Collision

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is a change in momentum and is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it was applied. Momentum is the measure of an object's mass and velocity and is a vector quantity.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are related through Newton's second law, which states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the net force applied to the object. This can be represented by the equation FΔt = Δp, where F is force, Δt is time, and Δp is change in momentum.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Mathematically, it can be represented by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. Can impulse and momentum be negative?

Yes, both impulse and momentum can be negative. This occurs when there is a change in direction of an object's velocity, causing it to have a negative momentum. This can also occur if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the object's initial velocity.