Calculating Flux on a Rubik's Cube with a Point Charge at the Center

In summary, the Rubik's Cube puzzle has 8 sub-cubes with edges measuring 3.0 cm in length. At the center of the puzzle lies an 8.0 nC point charge. The question is asking for the flux through one face of the sub-cube with the logo. Using the equation of dividing the charge by the permittivity constant and then further dividing it by 24 does not work due to the different distances and angles of the faces. Therefore, the surface integral method must be used to solve this problem. This discussion should be moved to a homework forum.
ab23
Each sub-cube of the puzzle has edges 3.0 cm in length. A 8.0 nC point charge lies at the puzzle's center. What is the flux through the one face of the sub-cube labeled with the logo?

Note: Its referring to a Rubik's Cube that has 8 sub cubes

I used the equation where i divided the charge by the permittivity constant and then further divided it by 24 but that didnt work.

Physics news on Phys.org
ab23 said:
I used the equation where i divided the charge by the permittivity constant and then further divided it by 24 but that didnt work.

Yep - that was a reasonable thought, but it doesn't work. The problem is that the faces are different distances from the source so they experience different field strengths and subtend different angles. I think you'll have to do this the hard way, actually computing the surface integral:frown:

In any case, this probably belongs in one of the homework forums... Moving it now.

Related to Calculating Flux on a Rubik's Cube with a Point Charge at the Center

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the area vector of the surface through which the field is passing. It is represented by the equation Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the two vectors.

3. What is the electric flux through a cube?

The electric flux through a cube depends on the strength and direction of the electric field passing through it. It can be calculated by dividing the total charge enclosed within the cube by the permittivity of free space (ε0).

4. How is the direction of electric flux determined in a cube?

The direction of electric flux in a cube is determined by the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the cube. The electric flux is considered positive if the electric field and the area vector of the surface are in the same direction, and negative if they are in opposite directions.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric flux in a cube?

Electric flux in a cube is used in various applications such as capacitors, electric motors, and electromagnetic induction. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials and for calculating the electric potential of a charged object.