Calculating Final Speed & Kinetic Energy Loss for Two Rotating Disks

In summary, In the process of rotating about its symmetry axis at final speed, a disk of mass M1 = 350 g and radius R1 = 10 cm rotates about its symmetry axis at 198 rpm. A second disk of mass M2 = 198 g and radius R2 = 5 cm, initially not rotating, is dropped on top of the first. The two disks come to a common rotational speed ffinal after the two disks have lost some kinetic energy to friction.
Naeem
Q. A disk of mass M1 = 350 g and radius R1 = 10 cm rotates about its symmetry axis at finitial = 198 rpm. A second disk of mass M2 = 198 g and radius R2 = 5 cm, initially not rotating, is dropped on top of the first. Frictional forces act to bring the two disks to a common rotational speed ffinal.

a) What is ffinal? Please give your answer in units of rpm, but do not enter the units.

Ans. Since there are no external torques on the system, Angular momentum must be conserved.

Finally, the total angular momentum is due to both disks spinning:

Lf = I1w1 + I2w2 = MR2Wf

Since, Li = Lf

1/2 MR2wi = MR2Wf

So, Wf = 1/2Wi

I tried to put Wi as 198 rpm and found out Wf to be 99, which the computer says is wrong.

b) In the process, how much kinetic energy is lost due to friction?

Ans. The initial kinetic energy is 1/2 Iiw12, and the final Kinetic energy is

K2 = 1/2( I1 + 12 )w2

There fore the fraction lost is :

| Delta K | / K1

which is ,

(1/2( I1 + 12 )w2 - 1/2 Iiw12)/ 1/2Iw12, which is 2/3 , which the computer says is wrong.

Can anybody help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
Lf = I1w1 + I2w2 = MR2Wf

Since, Li = Lf

1/2 MR2wi = MR2Wf

So, Wf = 1/2Wi

I tried to put Wi as 198 rpm and found out Wf to be 99, which the computer says is wrong.
The initial angular momentum is:
[tex]I_1\omega_1+I_2\omega_2[/tex]
the final angular momentum is:
[tex](I_1+I_2)\omega_f[/tex]
Find [itex]\omega_f[/itex] from this.

Figured out part a , what equations needed for part b, to work with.

The loss is simply the difference in energy between before and after.

--J

You mean,

1/2 mv2final + 1/2 I w2final = 1/2mv2initial + 1/2 I w2initial.

The point of the question is that energy is not conserved.

What you're saying is [itex]E_i = E_f[/itex], which is saying that energy is conserved. But this is not true, as energy isn't conserved, some is lost to friction. What the question's looking for is

[tex] E_i = E_f + Q[/tex]

where Q is the loss.

--J

Related to Calculating Final Speed & Kinetic Energy Loss for Two Rotating Disks

1. How do you calculate the final speed of two rotating disks?

The final speed of two rotating disks can be calculated using the formula: v = ωr, where v is the final speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk. This formula assumes that there is no friction or external forces acting on the disks.

2. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy loss in two rotating disks?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy loss in two rotating disks is: ΔK = 1/2I(ωf² - ωi²), where ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, ωf is the final angular velocity, and ωi is the initial angular velocity.

3. Can the final speed of the disks be greater than the initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of the disks can be greater than the initial speed if there is an external force acting on the disks, such as a motor. In this case, the disks will gain kinetic energy and their final speed will be higher than the initial speed.

4. How does friction affect the final speed and kinetic energy loss of two rotating disks?

Friction will cause the final speed of the disks to be lower than the calculated value, as some of the energy will be lost due to friction. This will also result in a higher kinetic energy loss, as some of the initial energy will be converted into heat due to friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating final speed and kinetic energy loss in rotating disks?

Calculating final speed and kinetic energy loss in rotating disks can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some real-world applications include analyzing the efficiency of machines and engines, designing efficient gear systems, and understanding the dynamics of rotating objects in motion.