Calculating Final Photon Energy in Inverse Compton Scattering

In summary, the problem at hand involves calculating the final energy of a photon after an X-ray interacts with a relativistic electron. The initial energy of the X-ray is 100keV and the incident electron has an energy of 100GeV. Using conservation of energy and each component of momentum, we can determine the final energy of the photon. However, there is also a relationship between the initial and final angles of the electron that must be taken into account.
erok81

Homework Statement

Suppose that an X ray has initial energy Eγ=100keV, and the incident (relativistic) electron has energy Ee=100GeV. Compute the final energy of the photon E'γ assuming the final direction of the photon makes an angle θ=Π with the initial direction.

For solving this problem, use the conservation of energy and each component of the momentum.

Homework Equations

None yet - still setting up problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am familiar with normal Compton scattering where a photon interacts with a rest electron, but not the inverse.

Maybe this works a certain way, but here is how I see it and what I want to verify.

I picture relativistic electron moving along the x-axis and getting rear ended by the x ray. The resulting gamma ray goes the other direction, still along x, and the electron continues moving along the x-axis with much less energy and momentum. At least that's what I hope because it makes the problem easier - although I am pretty sure that is wrong.:redface:

So a more realistic view is the electron is coming in at an angle and leave at an angle with the resulting photon going the opposite direction but still along the x-axis.

Is there a relationship between the initial angle and the resulting angle of the electron? I have it half setup but end up with way too many unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked a little more on this one and came up with the following. Since it is a sketch I just threw the equations on the attachment as well.

This diagram makes sense to me.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• inverse compton scattering.jpg
    inverse compton scattering.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 422
I've narrowed the question down some and now it's more conceptual. I am missing something.

So I have the energy of the x-ray, and the energy of the relativistic electron. I don't know the final energy of the produced gamma ray. My equation is this for conservation of energy.

[tex]E_{\gamma} + E_{e} = E^{'}_{\gamma} +E^{'}_{e}[/tex]

[tex]h\frac{c}{\lambda}+\gamma m_{e} c^{2} = h\frac{c}{\lambda'}+m_{e} c^{2}[/tex]

I also know mec2 since those are both known values. Since energy is conserved couldn't I just do this?

[tex]h\frac{c}{\lambda}+\gamma m_{e} c^{2} - m_{e} c^{2} = h\frac{c}{\lambda'}[/tex]

The question states I need to use both energy and both components of momentum to solve.

What am I missing?

Related to Calculating Final Photon Energy in Inverse Compton Scattering

What is Inverse Compton Scattering?

Inverse Compton Scattering is a fundamental process in which a high-energy photon collides with a low-energy electron, transferring energy to the electron and causing it to emit a higher energy photon in the opposite direction.

How does Inverse Compton Scattering differ from Compton Scattering?

Inverse Compton Scattering is the inverse process of Compton Scattering, where a high-energy electron collides with a low-energy photon, transferring energy to the photon and causing it to emit a lower energy photon in the opposite direction.

What are the applications of Inverse Compton Scattering in astrophysics?

Inverse Compton Scattering plays a crucial role in the production of high-energy photons in astrophysical sources such as pulsars, active galactic nuclei, and gamma-ray bursts.

How is Inverse Compton Scattering used in laboratory experiments?

Inverse Compton Scattering is used in laboratory experiments to produce high-energy photons for various applications, including studying the properties of matter at extreme conditions and testing theories of particle physics.

What factors affect the energy of the scattered photon in Inverse Compton Scattering?

The energy of the scattered photon in Inverse Compton Scattering depends on the energy of the incident photon and the energy of the electron, as well as the angle of scattering and the electron's direction of motion.