Calculating Final Outlet Temp of Flue Gases

In summary, the boiler must generate steam to raise the water temperature to 28 degrees Celsius and then to 90 degrees Celsius. 10% of the heat required to heat the water is lost in the heat exchanger.
Mitch1

Homework Statement

1. If the flue gases exiting the boiler are used to preheat the water fed to the boiler from a temperature of 28 C to 90 C and assuming:
• a mean specific heat capacity for water over this temperature range to be 4.2 kJ kg–1 K–1

• a mean molar heat capacity for the flue gases up to 300oC to be 31 kJ kmol–1 K–1
  • 10% of the heat required to heat the water is lost in the heat exchanger
  • all water entering the system is converted to steam

determine the final outlet temperature of the flue gas

Homework Equations

pw = (mole fraction)water × total pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start off on this once as it does not state any pressure the steam is at, I thought you needed a pressure to multiply by the mole fraction to then obtain a temperature using steam tables?
Any help/suggestions on equations would be much appreciated -thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mitch1 said:
preheat the water fed to the boiler from a temperature of 28 C to 90 C

The boiler feed is in the liquid phase.

Bystander said:
The boiler feed is in the liquid phase.
Thanks for your reply, so is there a different equation that is used? Because you do not need to use specific heat capacity when using the method I described I believe

This is the second (nth?) part of the flame temperature question isn't it? Vapor pressure of water at 90 C is less than 1 atm, and the steam generation occurs in the boiler.

There are some parameters missing here --- water feed rate, flue gas generation/flow rate?

Bystander said:
This is the second (nth?) part of the flame temperature question isn't it? Vapor pressure of water at 90 C is less than 1 atm, and the steam generation occurs in the boiler.

There are some parameters missing here --- water feed rate, flue gas generation/flow rate?
Yes it is the final part there is one after the flame temp question that I believe to have completed just the notes are not very clear,
The flow rate of flue gas is 1400 kmol h^-1
And it does not state any water feed rate, what is the equation that you are intending on using please

Mitch1 said:
• a mean specific heat capacity for water over this temperature range to be 4.2 kJ kg–1 K–1

From the earlier part, "steam at 5atm?" Gauge or absolute? So, you've got 1400 kmol/h at whatever heat content from 300 C to flame T (again from earlier) generating however much steam it takes to soak up that much heat (liquid heat capacity from 90 C to 5atm steam T plus enthalpy of vaporization at 5 atm.), be it gauge or absolute, giving you the water feed rate.

'Nuff of a start?

Bystander said:
From the earlier part, "steam at 5atm?" Gauge or absolute? So, you've got 1400 kmol/h at whatever heat content from 300 C to flame T (again from earlier) generating however much steam it takes to soak up that much heat (liquid heat capacity from 90 C to 5atm steam T plus enthalpy of vaporization at 5 atm.), be it gauge or absolute, giving you the water feed rate.

'Nuff of a start?
Thanks for the explanation would you be willing to give me a formula to use I might be able to tackle it and give it a go that way
Thanks

Total heat in (flue gas flow rate at flame T x heat content) = Total heat out (sum of pre-heat/0.9, plus heat content of steam (or, heat content of flue gas x flue gas flow rate between flame T and 300 C, which is the steam generated, minus losses if they mention it's not a perfect boiler) ) --- I think I got everything, but double-check it.

Bystander said:
Total heat in (flue gas flow rate at flame T x heat content) = Total heat out (sum of pre-heat/0.9, plus heat content of steam (or, heat content of flue gas x flue gas flow rate between flame T and 300 C, which is the steam generated, minus losses if they mention it's not a perfect boiler) ) --- I think I got everything, but double-check it.
Thanks mate I will give it ago using this!

What would the usual difference be between inlet and outlet temperatures with regards to flue gas as I have worked it out although it barely differs from the inlet temp (around4 degrees) surely I have gone wrong?

This is for the feed water pre-heat? What did you get for feed rate?

Bystander said:
This is for the feed water pre-heat? What did you get for feed rate?
2113 kg/hr? I used the liquid heat cp 90c + 5bar + enthalpy of vaporisation 5 bar
4.208+2.32+2107=2113

Lemme see --- 2113 x 4.2 x 62 = 555 kJ/h; and (31kJ/kmol x 1400 kmol/h)/.9 = 48.2 kJ/h; goes into 555 11.4 times for an 11.4 K delta T. And, you evaporated water in the pre-heat, I'll bet ---- pre-heat T gets to 90 C, at 5 atm., so it can't evaporate.

"Are we there yet?"

Bystander said:
Lemme see --- 2113 x 4.2 x 62 = 555 kJ/h; and (31kJ/kmol x 1400 kmol/h)/.9 = 48.2 kJ/h; goes into 555 11.4 times for an 11.4 K delta T. And, you evaporated water in the pre-heat, I'll bet ---- pre-heat T gets to 90 C, at 5 atm., so it can't evaporate.

"Are we there yet?"
I'm not sure hahah! So what is the 11.4 difference in temperature?

That's how much the flue gas exhausted from the boiler at 300 C is further cooled by running it through the pre-heater.

Ah so it is simply 300- 11.4 to give the outlet temperature of the flue gas?

That's the way I'd play it.

Sorry to drag up a dead post, but I'm stuck on this question and am dying to get this module out of the way!

I can't figure out at all how to get the mass flow rate of the water feed?

And this sum I can't see where any of the figures are coming from?
"2113 kg/hr? I used the liquid heat cp 90c + 5bar + enthalpy of vaporisation 5 bar
4.208+2.32+2107=2113"

Bystander said:

"Are we there yet?"
Hi @Bystander
I was wondering if you could help me with post No. 12 which I am really struggling with.
I've figured out most of the values to calculate feed rate - liquid heat capacity of water is a constant of 4.2 kJ/kg and, latent heat of steam (enthalpy of vaporisation) at 5 bar = 2108 kJ/kg (from steam tables) but cannot figure out where the 2.32 comes from.

I think I can work the rest out once I've got the value of feed rate so any help with this would be very much appreciated!
Cheers

PaxFinnica96 said:
Hi @Bystander
I was wondering if you could help me with post No. 12 which I am really struggling with.
I've figured out most of the values to calculate feed rate - liquid heat capacity of water is a constant of 4.2 kJ/kg and, latent heat of steam (enthalpy of vaporisation) at 5 bar = 2108 kJ/kg (from steam tables) but cannot figure out where the 2.32 comes from.
You'll have to give me a moment to review the other "original post;" @Mitch1 broke a heat transfer problem into two threads.

Bystander said:
You'll have to give me a moment to review the other "original post;" @Mitch1 broke a heat transfer problem into two threads.
Cheers, I had a go at it yesterday from what I think is right...

Specific heat of steam (@ 5 bar) = 2.32 kJ/kg K
Water feed rate = liquid HC at 90deg + Specific heat of steam at 5 bar + enthalpy of vaporisation at 5 bar
= 4.2 + 2.32 + 2108
= 2114.52

So...
Total Heat In = (2114 x 4.2 x (90 - 28)) = 550 kJ/h
Total Heat Out = (31 kJ/kmol x 1400 kmol/h)/0.9 = 48.2 kJ/h

550/48.2 = 11.4 K delta T

Therefore final outlet temp. of flue gas = 300 - 11.4 = 288.6 degC

...does this look right to you?

Related to Calculating Final Outlet Temp of Flue Gases

What is the purpose of calculating the final outlet temperature of flue gases?

The final outlet temperature of flue gases is calculated to determine the efficiency of a combustion process or heating system. It also helps in designing and optimizing the system for better performance and reducing emissions.

How is the final outlet temperature of flue gases calculated?

The final outlet temperature of flue gases can be calculated using the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the heat input, heat output, and properties of the flue gases such as mass flow rate, specific heat, and temperature difference.

What factors affect the final outlet temperature of flue gases?

The final outlet temperature of flue gases is affected by various factors such as the type and amount of fuel being burned, the efficiency of the heat transfer process, the design and condition of the heating system, and the ambient temperature and humidity.

Why is it important to accurately calculate the final outlet temperature of flue gases?

Accurately calculating the final outlet temperature of flue gases is crucial in ensuring the safety and efficiency of the combustion process. It also helps in complying with environmental regulations and reducing energy costs.

What can be done to lower the final outlet temperature of flue gases?

To lower the final outlet temperature of flue gases, various measures can be taken such as improving the heat transfer efficiency, optimizing the combustion process, using different fuels or fuel mixtures, and implementing exhaust gas recirculation or flue gas heat recovery systems.