Calculating Fill Time for a Cylindrical Grow-Out Tank in Aquaculture

• Thread starter majin
  • Start date
But you don't need to do any more conversion from cubic metres into cubic metres!In summary, the cylindrical grow-out tank with a height of 2m, diameter of 8m, and 10% freeboard has a volume of 90.47786842 cubic meters. With an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water per minute, it would take approximately 3.62 minutes to fill the tank. The size of the pipe and the number of spray outlets are not relevant to the calculation.
majin
maths for aquaculture
How long would it take to fill a cylindrical grow-out tank (2m high, 8m diameter, 10% freeboard) from an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water every minute through a 25mm pipe that has 4 spray outlets?

first of all I know that the 4 spray outlets are irrelevant to the quetion and are a decoy. as well as this i know that the pipe is cylindrical

tank volume with freeBoard =90.47786842
25 L/min converts into 0.025 m3/min
to get that into m3 per sec(delivery rate) I times it by 60=1.5m3/sec

So to get the answer do I divide the delivery rate(1.5) into the tank volume i.e(90/1.5) OR do I use the delivery rate as a height(h) variable and work out volume of pipe i.e(pi*h*r*r)and then divide the volume of the pipe into the tank volume i.e(vt/vp) to get the amount in secs? any help will be greatly appreciated as i am confronted with a lot of these types of queations

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a volume and a rate at which water is being poured into it. But the dimensions(units) are incompatible as your volume is in m³ but the rate is in L/min. You will want to either convert the m³ in litres or the litres in m³.

Once you've done that if you have doubt on wheter it is the volume that you must divide by the rate or the rate by the volume, just look at the units.

1) If you divide rate by volume, you get an answer whose units are (volume/time)/(volume)=1/time. This is not quite what you want.

2) If you divide volume by rate, you get an answer whose units are volume/(volume/time)=time. This is what you want.

majin said:
maths for aquaculture
How long would it take to fill a cylindrical grow-out tank (2m high, 8m diameter, 10% freeboard) from an inlet pump delivering 25 litres of water every minute through a 25mm pipe that has 4 spray outlets?

first of all I know that the 4 spray outlets are irrelevant to the quetion and are a decoy. as well as this i know that the pipe is cylindrical

tank volume with freeBoard =90.47786842
25 L/min converts into 0.025 m3/min
to get that into m3 per sec(delivery rate) I times it by 60=1.5m3/sec
No, you divide by 60! You surely are not going to get 1.5 cubic meters per second if you are only delivering 0.025 cubic meters per minute! But why convert from minutes to seconds anyway? Were you specifically asked to give the answer in seconds rather than minutes?

So to get the answer do I divide the delivery rate(1.5) into the tank volume i.e(90/1.5) OR do I use the delivery rate as a height(h) variable and work out volume of pipe i.e(pi*h*r*r)and then divide the volume of the pipe into the tank volume i.e(vt/vp) to get the amount in secs? any help will be greatly appreciated as i am confronted with a lot of these types of queations
The size of the pipe is irrelevant also. You were told that water is being delivered to the tank at 25 litres/minute. Divide the volume of the tank, in litres, by that. Or, if you really want to, convert 25 litres/minute into cubic metres per minute and divide the volume of the tank by that.

Related to Calculating Fill Time for a Cylindrical Grow-Out Tank in Aquaculture

1. What is "Another Stumpy Question"?

"Another Stumpy Question" is a phrase that is often used in scientific research and discussions to refer to a question that is particularly challenging or difficult to answer.

2. Why is it called "Another Stumpy Question"?

The term "stumpy" is often used in scientific jargon to describe something that is short or brief. In the context of a question, "stumpy" can refer to a question that is concise and to the point, but also complex and difficult to answer.

3. How do scientists approach "Another Stumpy Question"?

Scientists approach "Another Stumpy Question" by using critical thinking skills, conducting thorough research, and collaborating with other experts in the field. They may also use experimental methods to gather data and analyze the results to find an answer.

4. Can "Another Stumpy Question" be answered definitively?

It depends on the question. Some "Another Stumpy Questions" may have a clear and definitive answer based on current scientific knowledge and evidence. However, there are also questions that may not have a definite answer yet and require further research and evidence.

5. How can "Another Stumpy Question" contribute to scientific progress?

"Another Stumpy Question" can contribute to scientific progress by challenging scientists to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions. It can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.