Calculating FBD Forces for Acceleration: Solution Verification and Analysis

In summary, F is equal to ma and the attempt at a solution was to balance the forces for all three masses and find the answer. The relation between the relative acceleration of "m2 with respect to the block m1" and "m2 with respect to ground" was not clear.
shizaep

Homework Statement

1)What should F be so that m3accelerates upwards at 1 m/s2?
ZyZA1yO.png

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I start by drawing FBD's for everything:
mvODbS6.png

^^also, there is supposed to be a force of friction to the right on M1, I factored that into my solution but forgot to draw in in the diagram.

Then I proceed to sum the x and y components of the forces where it is relevant.
m3:

ƩFy=m3a1
T-m3g=m3a1

m2:
μkm2g-T=m2a1

m1:

F-Nm3km2g=m1a2
F=(m1+m3)(a2-1)-μkm2g

i got the relationship a2=a1-1
(a2is the acceleration of the big block and a1 is the acceleration of the 2 smaller blocks)

For a final answer I got:

F = (m1+m3)[(μkm2g-m3g)/(m2+m3)-1]-μkm2g

I am not sure if this is correct. May someone verify this solution please. In particular, I was unsure about the contact forces between the large block and the block accelerating vertically.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you haven't mentioned if friction exists and if yes at which all contact surfaces?...

according to your diagram, friction acts on m2, then due to Newton's Third Law equal in magnitude but opposite in direction friction force must act on m1 (which you missed).

Edit: I guess, I didn't look carefully enough. Your diagram mentions that friction force exists between m1 and m2. What about other surfaces?...I assume you have drawn the diagram from the textbook/assignment, so friction doesn't exist anywhere else.

Last edited:
oh you i forgot that complimentary frictions must act on M1. brb will edit that into my solution.

also, for this example, you can assume that there is only friction between M1 and M2, nowhere else.

shizaep said:
oh you i forgot that complimentary frictions must act on M1. brb will edit that into my solution.

also, for this example, you can assume that there is only friction between M1 and M2, nowhere else.

okay. balance the forces for all the three masses, you'll arrive at the answer. If you face problem, post again!

I added the force of friction on M1. (to the right)
My final answer makes sense to me in my mind but I am not sure if there is some kind of mistake or something that I am missing.
(am I correct to say that Nm3which acts on block M1 is m3a2?)

shizaep said:
I added the force of friction on M1. (to the right)(am I correct to say that Nm3which acts on block M1 is m3a2?)

Check your FBD again, I notice that their is a problem with direction of friction mentioned for block m2. Since m3 is accelerating upwards that means m2 should accelerate towards the left wrt to block m1. That means friction should act towards right on block m2 or left on m1.

shizaep said:
(am I correct to say that Nm3which acts on block M1 is m3a2?)

yes, you are correct about that because normal force on m3 accelerates it towards right along with m1, so both have same horizontal acceleration

if you do the corrections to your FBD, you'll notice that block m2 has all the horizontal forces toward right but it accelerates towards left with respect to m1. you'll have to find relation between relative acceleration of "m2 with respect to the block m1" and "m2 with respect to ground"

I mention to make sure that it is clear, every block has a different net (vector) acceleration but it is all correlated.

P.S. :

##a_{m2}## is acceleration of m2 with respect to ground
##a_{1}## is acceleration of m1 with respect to ground
##a_{2}=1 m/s^2## is acceleration of m2 with respect to the block m1

##a_{m2}= a_{1}-a_{2}## ...minus sign means towards the left

$$a_{m1}= a_{1}$$
$$a_{m3x}= a_{1}$$
$$a_{m3y}= a_{2}$$

Last edited:

Related to Calculating FBD Forces for Acceleration: Solution Verification and Analysis

1. What is an FBD (Free Body Diagram) and why is it important in understanding forces?

An FBD is a simplified graphical representation of an object or system with all external forces acting on it. It is important because it helps us visualize and analyze the forces acting on an object, allowing us to better understand its motion and behavior.

2. How do I draw an FBD for an object?

To draw an FBD, start by identifying the object of interest and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force. Make sure to label each force and use a coordinate system to indicate the direction of motion.

3. How do I determine the direction of the forces on an FBD?

The direction of the forces on an FBD can be determined by considering the motion of the object. If the object is at rest, the forces should be balanced and pointing in opposite directions. If the object is moving, the forces should be unbalanced and pointing in the same direction as the object's acceleration.

4. What are the common types of forces shown on an FBD?

The most common types of forces shown on an FBD include weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object, normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object, tension is the force exerted by a string or rope, friction is the force that opposes motion, and applied forces are forces that are directly applied to an object.

5. How do I use an FBD to solve for unknown forces or accelerations?

To solve for unknown forces or accelerations using an FBD, you can use Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. By using these laws and analyzing the forces on an FBD, you can solve for unknown variables.