Calculating Euler phi function

In summary, the Euler phi function is used in RSA encryption and requires knowledge of the prime factorization of the input. If the input is the product of two primes, then the formula for computing the Euler phi function is (p-1)(q-1). This can be implemented in Matlab using the method described in the Wikipedia link provided.
paton51
How do i comput the euler phi function of a large interger?
i know that if p is prime then phi(p)=p-1 and I've found a formula for computing non primes but i don't know how to implement in something like Matlab.
Does anyone know how?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, computing the Euler phi function requires you to know the prime factorization of the input. Unless you can find it, there's not much you can do.

Yes i know the factorisation problem is hard. I am workin with RSA encryption so we know two large primes, the product of which is N this is what i want to do euler phi on.
Since N is the product of two primes (p and q) is phi(N) simply (p-1)(q-1)?

Related to Calculating Euler phi function

What is the Euler phi function?

The Euler phi function, also known as Euler's totient function, is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to it. It is denoted by φ (n).

How do you calculate the Euler phi function?

The Euler phi function can be calculated using the formula φ (n) = n * (1 - 1/p1) * (1 - 1/p2) * ... * (1 - 1/pk), where n is the given number and p1, p2, ..., pk are its prime factors.

What is the significance of the Euler phi function?

The Euler phi function has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It helps in determining the number of integers coprime to a given number, which is useful in solving various mathematical problems.

What is the relationship between the Euler phi function and the prime factorization of a number?

The Euler phi function is closely related to the prime factorization of a number. It uses the prime factors of a number to calculate the number of integers that are relatively prime to it.

Can the Euler phi function be calculated for non-positive integers?

No, the Euler phi function is defined only for positive integers. For negative integers, the value of the function is undefined. For 0, the value is 0.