Calculating Equivalent Capacitance of Infinite Array with Co as Capacitance

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the equivalent capacitance between terminals X and Y of an infinite set of capacitors. It is suggested to imagine the ladder as being cut at the line AB and to note that the capacitance of the infinite section to the right of AB is also C. The previous calculation for the capacitance to the left of AB is Co/3, but the method for finding the total capacitance is unclear. The suggestion is to apply a voltage between A and B, though this hint is not fully understood. The person asks for urgent help and if someone can assist them today.
thenewbosco
see diagram for this at
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/biggm/cap.jpg

Question:
Determine the eqivalent capacitance C between terminals X and Y of the infinite set of capacitors represented. Each capacitor has capacitance Co.
Suggestion: imagine that that ladder is but at the line AB. and note that the capacitance of the infinite section to the right of AB is also C.

So far what I've done is calculated the capacitance to the left of AB as three capacitors in series from x to y so its: Co/3. Now i have no idea how to finish this off. It seems like i would just be adding Co/3 "infinitly many times".

any help on this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply a voltage between A and B.

i don't understand this hint

any help on this one today??

hello? can someone help me on this it is urgent

Related to Calculating Equivalent Capacitance of Infinite Array with Co as Capacitance

What is an infinite array of capacitance?

An infinite array of capacitance refers to a theoretical concept where an infinite number of capacitors are arranged in a specific pattern. In this setup, the capacitance value of each individual capacitor is small, but when combined, they form a large effective capacitance.

How is an infinite array of capacitance different from a regular capacitor?

The main difference is that an infinite array of capacitance is composed of an infinite number of capacitors, while a regular capacitor is made up of just one or a few capacitors. This allows the infinite array to have a much larger capacitance value and potentially different electrical properties.

What are the potential applications of an infinite array of capacitance?

An infinite array of capacitance has potential applications in various fields such as electronics, communication systems, and energy storage. It can be used to increase the capacitance of a circuit, improve signal transmission, and store more energy in a smaller space.

Is an infinite array of capacitance physically realizable?

At this time, an infinite array of capacitance is still a theoretical concept and has not been physically realized. However, researchers continue to study and explore ways to create and utilize this concept in practical applications.

What are the challenges in creating an infinite array of capacitance?

Some of the challenges in creating an infinite array of capacitance include finding a suitable material for the capacitors, designing a pattern that maximizes the capacitance, and developing techniques to manufacture and assemble an infinite number of capacitors accurately and efficiently.