Calculating Energy Requirements for UV Light Penetration?

In summary, the conversation is about UV light and how to determine the amount of energy required for it to penetrate a certain distance. The person asking the questions is not familiar with this type of physics and is looking for resources to learn more. It is mentioned that UV light has less penetrating power compared to x-rays and that its energy is dependent on its frequency. It is also noted that UV light is not easily absorbed by the atmosphere and can travel long distances. Suggestions for further learning include visiting a website on UV light and studying optics and radiation in a graduate level textbook.
Sirsh
Hi all,

I have a few questions in regards to UV light (or any other light on the spectrum) and if anyone could point me in the direction of any textbook or online resource to read up it would be appreciated.

I would like to know how you can figure out the amount of energy required to produce UV light so that it can penetrate a certain distance, for example: I want to emit a 'beam' of UV light over a length of 2 metres, how can this be figured out? and is there any way to find out how much of the UV lights 'concentration' has been dissipated into the surrounding atmosphere.

Sorry, I do not have the strongest suit in this type of physics.

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Well you can visit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ultravoilet light> for details -
you want UV light to penetrate some things but normally it does nor -the penetrating power is of x-rays which has smaller wavelenths than UV.
you wish to know energy of UV light -the energy is dependent on frequency of the light and UV is a group of light- frequencies- so i will advise that you may go to physics classroom and systematically come to various questions coming into your mental frame' you can take a grad. level optics/radiation book and search for primary issues with light -conceptually.

Last edited by a moderator:
UV light is hardly attenuated by normal atmosphere, so it will propagate considerable distances.

Likes drvrm

Related to Calculating Energy Requirements for UV Light Penetration?

What is UV light?

UV light, or ultraviolet light, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. It has a shorter wavelength than visible light and is typically divided into three categories: UVA, UVB, and UVC.

How is energy related to UV light?

Energy is required for UV light because it is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which means it travels in waves and carries energy. The amount of energy in UV light depends on its wavelength, with shorter wavelengths having higher energy.

What is the energy required for UV light used for?

The energy required for UV light is used for a variety of purposes, including disinfection, sterilization, and curing processes in industries such as healthcare, agriculture, and manufacturing. It is also used for tanning and in some medical treatments.

What factors affect the energy required for UV light?

The amount of energy required for UV light can be affected by various factors, such as the intensity of the light source, the distance from the light source, and the type of material the light is passing through. The wavelength of the UV light can also impact the amount of energy required.

Is the energy required for UV light harmful?

UV light can be harmful to humans if they are exposed to high levels of it for extended periods. However, most UV light sources used for practical purposes, such as disinfection, are designed to emit a specific amount of energy that is not harmful to humans. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with UV light to avoid any potential harm.