Calculating Energy Released: TNT vs. U-235 | Nuclear Energy Homework

In summary, the conversation involves determining the amount of TNT needed to match the energy released by 1 gram of U-235, given that 1 gram of U-235 contains 2.56 x 10^21 nuclei and releases 4.79 x 10^-10 J of energy. The solution involves converting units and using the equation E=mc^2 to find the amount of energy released by 1 gram of U-235. Then, this amount is divided by the energy released by 1 gram of TNT (2.760 kJ) to find the amount of grams of TNT needed to match the energy released by 1 gram of U-235.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

Nuclear energy changes are significantly greater than chemical changes. The detonation of 1.00 g of the explosive trinitrotoluene (TNT) releases 2.760 kJ. How many grams of TNT would be needed to match the energy released be one gram of U-235? (HINT: 1.00 g of U-235 contains 2.56 x 10^21 nuclei).

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is all i can think of...

First, convert 1.00 g to 0.001 kg

then:

E for U-235 = mc^2
= 0.001 kg (2.998 x 10^8 m/s)^2
= 8.99 x 10^13 J
then: 1 kJ = 1000 J

Therefore: (8.99 x 10^13 J) /1000 J = 8.99 x 10^10 kJ

Then divide 8.99 x 10^10 kJ by 2.760 kJ to find the answer

3.26 x 10^10 g

Therefore, you would need 3.26 x 10^13 g to match the energy released by 1.00 g of U-235.

I'm almost positive this is incorrect...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to determine the reaction involved in U-235. The entire atom isn't converted into energy.

okay, well there was a question before this one that was linked to this one, and it involved a U-235 reaction and the answer for the energy released was 4.79 x 10^-10 J. would that be it?

so what do i do with the nuclei? do i divide them by the amount of energy during the reaction?

You need to be more specific on what you're doing. Is the energy release from I suppose the previous problem the same reaction you use for this problem? In that case, you multiply the energy/reaction by the number or reactions (or atoms) and you'll have some amount of energy. Then you can determine howmany grams of TNT would result in that same amount of energy release.

well for example, the question number is 70, and the nuclear reaction is part a, and this question is part b. So I'm guessing they're linked together. And once i find the other energy amount, i just divide it by the TNT energy level to find the amount of grams in TNT

Yup, sounds like you got it.

nice! thank you for your help

Related to Calculating Energy Released: TNT vs. U-235 | Nuclear Energy Homework

What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy released from the splitting of atoms in a process called nuclear fission. This energy can be harnessed to generate electricity.

How is nuclear energy produced?

Nuclear energy is produced through nuclear reactions, specifically nuclear fission. This is when the nucleus of an atom is split, releasing a large amount of energy.

What are the advantages of nuclear energy?

Some of the advantages of nuclear energy include its ability to produce large amounts of electricity with relatively little fuel, its low carbon emissions compared to traditional fossil fuels, and its reliability as a source of energy.

What are the risks associated with nuclear energy?

The main risk associated with nuclear energy is the potential for accidents and the release of radioactive materials. Nuclear waste storage is also a concern, as it remains radioactive for thousands of years. Additionally, the production of nuclear energy requires strict safety protocols and can be a target for terrorism.

Is nuclear energy renewable?

No, nuclear energy is not considered a renewable energy source as it relies on the availability of uranium, which is a finite resource. However, it is considered a low-carbon energy source compared to traditional fossil fuels.