Calculating Energy of Muonic Atom: Electron vs Muon | Homework Solution

• Thread starter kraigandrews
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation discusses the replacement of an electron with a heavier muon in the Hydrogen atom, resulting in a muonic atom. However, due to the short lifespan of the muon, the muonic atom is not stable. The conversation also brings up the topic of performing fast experiments on the muonic atom. The conversation then discusses using equations to find the energy of the muon in the ground state, but raises the question of whether or not to replace the electron mass with the muon mass in the equations.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

The electron in the Hydrogen atom can be replaced by the heavier muon resulting in a muonic atom. The muonic atom is not stable because the muon lives for 2.2 μs on average and then it decays into an electron and two neutrinos. However some very fast experiments can be performed on the muonic atom.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the energy of the muon in the ground state?
You will need the following masses for this problem:
- electron : 0.5110 Mev/c2,
- muon : 105.7 Mev/c2,
- proton : 938.3 Mev/c2.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mu[/itex]=m_e/(1+(m_e/M));M=proton mass

R_m=([itex]\mu[/itex]/M)[itex]R_{H}\ =\ 109.73731568549(83)\ \times\ 10^{5} m^{-1}[/itex

E=-R_m(hc)/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know to use these equations to find the energy, however, the place where I go wrong is that since the electron has been replaced with a muon I don't know if I need to replace the m_e with the muon mass

Physics news on Phys.org
in the equation for \mu or if I can leave it as m_e. If I use the muon mass, then \mu=105.7/(1+(105.7/938.3))=0.11125854R_m=(0.11125854/938.3)[itex]R_{H}\ =\ 109.73731568549(83)\ \times\ 10^{5} m^{-1}[/itexE=-109.73731568549(83) (hc)/n2E=-109.73731568549(83)(6.6260689633x10^-34 x 3.00 x 10^8)/n2E=-109.73731568549(83)(198.4 x 10^-22)/n2E=-2.17288 x 10^-19/n2

Related to Calculating Energy of Muonic Atom: Electron vs Muon | Homework Solution

1. What is a muonic atom?

A muonic atom is an atom in which the nucleus contains a muon instead of an electron.

2. What is the difference between an electron and a muon?

An electron is a fundamental particle with a negative charge, while a muon is a heavier version of an electron with the same charge. It also has a shorter lifetime than an electron.

3. How do you calculate the energy of a muonic atom?

The energy of a muonic atom can be calculated using the formula E = -13.6*(Z^2/n^2) eV, where Z is the atomic number and n is the principal quantum number.

4. How does the energy of a muonic atom compare to that of an electron?

The energy of a muonic atom is generally lower than that of an electron due to its higher mass, resulting in a smaller Bohr radius and therefore a smaller energy level spacing.

5. Why is the energy of a muonic atom important?

The energy of a muonic atom is important in understanding the properties of exotic atoms and in studying the fundamental forces of nature. It also has potential applications in nuclear physics and medical imaging.