Calculating energy lost in collisions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an equation when given initial and final velocities and the additional information of mass. The individual clarifies that the masses are both 1kg and provides the necessary velocities. They also mention the importance of the formula for kinetic energy and calculating the total kinetic energy of the two masses before and after the collision.
pebbles
My notes don't provide an equation.

I am given inital and final velocity
Vi=50 m/s
Vf=25 m/s

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
pebbles said:
My notes don't provide an equation.

I am given inital and final velocity
Vi=50 m/s
Vf=25 m/s

Thanks.

I'm afraid it's worse than that: if you're trying to do an energy calculation, you're going to need a mass as well... If this is a collision problem, you're going to need both masses and the initial and final velocities for each of them.

Are you covering linear momentum in your course right now?

oops forgot to note the masses: each is is 1 kg.

sorry!

Is what you posted originally the initial and final speed of both masses? There still seems to be detail missing from this problem.

In any case, you'll need the formula for kinetic energy. Find the sum of the kinetic energies of the two masses before the collision and compare it to the sum of their kinetic energies afterwards.

agh. no!
what was i thinking?!
ok mass 1= 1.0 kg; initial velocity = 50; final velocity =25
mass 1.0 kg; initial velocity= 0; final velocity = 25

pebbles said:
agh. no!
what was i thinking?!
ok mass 1= 1.0 kg; initial velocity = 50 m/sec ; final velocity =25 m/sec
mass 1.0 kg; initial velocity= 0; final velocity = 25 m/sec

It looks like you now have all the data assembled. How you do calculate the kinetic energy of an object? Find the initial and final kinetic energy for each mass and the total initial and final kinetic energies of the pair.

Related to Calculating energy lost in collisions?

1. What is the formula for calculating energy lost in a collision?

The formula for calculating energy lost in a collision is: Energy Lost = Initial Energy - Final Energy.

2. How is the energy lost in a collision measured?

The energy lost in a collision is typically measured in Joules (J) or in kilojoules (kJ).

3. Can the energy lost in a collision be negative?

Yes, the energy lost in a collision can be negative. This indicates that the final energy is greater than the initial energy, meaning that energy was gained rather than lost in the collision.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in a collision?

The amount of energy lost in a collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), and any external forces acting on the objects.

5. Why is it important to calculate the energy lost in collisions?

Calculating the energy lost in collisions is important in understanding the efficiency of a system. It can also help predict the outcome of future collisions and inform safety measures in various industries such as transportation and sports.