Calculating Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion: Mass-Spring System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass attached to a vertical spring and suspended from a ceiling. The mass is pushed upwards and released, causing the system to undergo vertical oscillations. The total energy of the system is found to be (1/2)k{Delta L^2 + A^2} + mgh. The conversation also provides a hint to draw sketches and write equations for kinetic energy, elastic potential energy, gravitational potential energy, and total energy. The attempt at a solution involves finding the total energy at equilibrium and the extrema, but the individual is struggling to understand how Delta L fits into the equation. They have labeled their drawings and attempted to solve the problem, but are still seeking help.
doc1388

Homework Statement

A mass "m" is attached to the free end of a light vertical spring (unstretched length L) of spring contant "k" and suspended from a ceiling. The spring streches by Delta L under the load and comes to equilibrium at a height "h" above the ground level (y=0). The mass is pushed up vertically by "A" from its equilibrium position and released from rest. The mass-spring executes vertical oscillations. Assuming that gravitational potential energy of the mass "m" is zero at the ground level, show that the total energy of the spring-mass system is (1/2)k{Delta L^2 + A^2} + mgh.

Homework Equations

x(t)= Asin(Omega t + phi)
v(t)= wAcos(Omega t +phi)
Total Energy = 1/2 k A^2
Delta L k = mg

Hint: Draw four sketches of the vertical free spring, spring-mass in equilibrium, and the two extreme positions of oscillation of the mass. Below each of the above sketches (except free spring) write equations for Kinetic Energy, Elastic Potential Energy, Gravitational Potential Energy and Total Energy using symbols k, Delta L, m, A, g, h and v_m_

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling trying to find where Delta L fits into this equation. I understand the change in energies at the top and bottom are both full PE and GravPE and while it passes through equilibrium the KE is max because velocity is max. I just don't know how to even go about this problem I guess. I've labeled my drawing with the differences in h where at equilibrium y=h and the top y=h+A and at the bottom y=h-A. I'm lost. HELP please. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have attempted a bit more to this and I believe at equilibrium the total energy of the system is split up into three parts: Kinetic Energy is 1/2 m v_max_^2 + Elastic Potential Energy which is 1/2 k Delta L^2 + mgh

This is the answer if I sub in Omega and such and cancel masses I end up with the answer. But this is only the answer for equilibrium and I can't prove it is true at the extrema.

Any ideas?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical situation described in the problem and then using relevant equations and principles to solve it. In this case, we have a mass-spring system that is undergoing simple harmonic motion. This means that the mass attached to the spring is oscillating vertically with a certain amplitude and frequency.

To solve this problem, we can start with the equation for the potential energy of a spring, which is given by PE = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, the displacement is given by Delta L + A, since the spring is already stretched by Delta L and the mass is pushed up by A from its equilibrium position. So, the potential energy of the spring at the top of the oscillation (when the mass is at its maximum height h+A) is given by PE_top = 1/2 k(Delta L + A)^2.

Similarly, at the bottom of the oscillation (when the mass is at its minimum height h-A), the potential energy of the spring is given by PE_bottom = 1/2 k(Delta L - A)^2.

Now, let's consider the kinetic energy of the mass. At the top of the oscillation, the mass is at rest and hence, the kinetic energy is zero. At the bottom of the oscillation, the mass has maximum velocity and hence, the kinetic energy is given by KE_bottom = 1/2 mv_m^2, where v_m is the maximum velocity of the mass.

Next, we need to consider the gravitational potential energy of the mass. At the ground level (y=0), the gravitational potential energy is zero. At the top of the oscillation, the mass is at a height h+A above the ground level and hence, the gravitational potential energy is given by GravPE_top = mgh + mgh = 2mgh (since the mass travels twice the distance h+A).

Using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy at the top and bottom of the oscillation, we can write the total energy of the system as:

Total Energy = PE_top + KE_bottom + GravPE_top
= 1/2 k(Delta L + A)^2 + 1/2 mv_m^2 + 2mgh

Simplifying this expression, we get:

Total Energy = 1/2

Related to Calculating Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion: Mass-Spring System

What is Simple Harmonic Motion Energy?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) energy is the energy associated with the oscillatory motion of a system that follows Hooke's law, which states that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. It is a type of periodic motion where the system experiences a restoring force that brings it back to its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the energy of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The energy of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by two main factors: the amplitude of the motion and the stiffness of the system. The amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, while the stiffness is determined by the spring constant in Hooke's law. A higher amplitude or stiffness leads to a higher energy in the system.

How is the energy of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion calculated?

The total energy of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. The kinetic energy is given by 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. The potential energy is given by 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. Therefore, the total energy is E = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 kx^2.

What is the relationship between the frequency and energy of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the system. This relationship can be seen in the equation for the frequency of SHM, f=1/(2π)√(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the object.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion energy used in real-life applications?

Simple Harmonic Motion energy is used in various real-life applications, such as pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers in cars. It is also used in engineering and physics to model and analyze systems that exhibit SHM, such as bridges, buildings, and mechanical systems. Understanding SHM energy is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems for maximum efficiency and stability.