Calculating EMF and Internal Resistance of a Battery in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two resistors in parallel and series, with a battery providing a current of 3.0 A and 1.2 A respectively. Using this information, the effective parallel resistance was calculated to be 1.0 ohms. To determine the e.m.f of the battery and its internal resistance, a simultaneous equation was set up using the potential difference in each case. The resulting equation was solved and the answers obtained were an e.m.f of 6 and an internal resistance of 1.
Couperin
The question is:

A battery drives a current of 3.0 A round a circuit consisting of two 2.0 ohms resistors in parallel. When these resistors are connected in series, the current changes to 1.2A. Calculate:

a) the e.m.f of the battery

and

b) the internal resistance of the battery.

Here's how far I've got:

I calculated the effective parallel resistance to 1.0 ohms by doing

[tex]R=(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2})^-1[/tex]

The potential difference in each case is 3V and 4.8V

So I've put them in a simultaneous equation:

Let E be the e.m.f, and r be the internal resistance:

E = 3r + 3
E = 1.2r + 4.8

Which can be written as

3r + 3 = 1.2r + 4.8

But I can't figure out how to isolate the r values!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you get that far it's just a question of getting your rs on one side and your numbers on the toher...but I don't get teh same equations. Apologies - I've mixed up my series and paralle - it should be exactly as you said.

3r + 3 = 1.2r + 4.8

So

3r - 1.2r = 4.8 - 3

then subs back to find E

Last edited:
Aha! Why on Earth didn't I think of that... :(

Anyway, I got the answer now! Thanks!

3r - 1.2r = 4.8 -3
1.8r = 1.8
r=1

So EMF = 6 and internal resistance = 1

Thanks!

Related to Calculating EMF and Internal Resistance of a Battery in a Circuit

1. What is "Current Electricity problem"?

"Current Electricity problem" refers to any issue or challenge related to the flow of electric charges through a circuit. This can include problems with the power supply, malfunctioning equipment, or issues with the electrical wiring.

2. What causes "Current Electricity problem"?

There are many potential causes of "Current Electricity problem", including power surges, faulty components, overloading of circuits, and poor wiring. Environmental factors such as extreme weather can also contribute to these problems.

3. How can "Current Electricity problem" be prevented?

To prevent "Current Electricity problem", it is important to regularly check and maintain electrical equipment, use surge protectors, avoid overloading circuits, and hire a professional electrician for any wiring or installation work. It is also crucial to follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity.

4. What are the safety risks associated with "Current Electricity problem"?

"Current Electricity problem" can pose serious safety risks, such as electric shocks, fires, and damage to electrical equipment. These risks can be mitigated by following proper safety protocols and addressing any electrical issues promptly.

5. How can "Current Electricity problem" be resolved?

The specific steps to resolve "Current Electricity problem" will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, a simple fix such as replacing a faulty component may be enough. In other cases, it may require more extensive repairs or replacements by a professional electrician. It is important to address these problems promptly to prevent further damage or safety risks.