Calculating Electrostatic Force: q1 and q2

In summary, the given problem involves two charged particles in an xy plane with fixed coordinates and charges. The magnitude of the electrostatic force on q2 is 94.98868N and the direction is -15.9453959° counterclockwise from the +x axis. To find the coordinates for a third charge q3 that would result in a net electrostatic force of zero, the equation \frac{q_1q_3}{x^2+y^2} = \frac{q_2q_3}{(r+\sqrt{x^2+y^2})^2} can be used, where x is the distance between q1 and q3 on the x-axis, y is the distance between
Laxman2974

Homework Statement

The charges and coordinates of two charged particles held fixed in an xy plane are q1 = +3.5 µC, x1 = 1.5 cm, y1 = 0.50 cm, and q2 = -4.0 µC, x2 = -2.0 cm, y2 = 1.5 cm.
(a) Find the magnitude of the electrostatic force on q2. Done I got this part =
94.98868N
(b) Find the direction of this force. Got this also =
-15.9453959° (counterclockwise from the +x axis)
(c) At what coordinates should a third charge q3 = +5.5 µC be placed such that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 due to particles 1 and 2 is zero?
Can't get this - saw problem solving methods for questions that are very similar in previous postings, but I can't get the math to work out

Homework Equations

Got as far as q1/x^2 = q2/(x+r)^2
r being the distance between q1 and q2 since q3 must lie to the right of q1

The Attempt at a Solution

many attempts at a solution - but its been 15 years since I have done significant math and I can't get anywhere now.

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation you gave in part 2 is may not be right since q3 may not be located on the same Y value as q1. The equation would look more like:
[tex]\frac{q_1q_3}{x^2+y^2} = \frac{q_2q_3}{(r+\sqrt{x^2+y^2})^2}[/tex] (where x is distance from q1 x-coordinate to q3 x-coordinate and y is dist from q1 y-coord to q3 x-coord)

Now I'm not sure if this is the only way to solve this but I would start with equating the x-components of the forces aka [tex]F_{1-3x} = F_{2-3x}[/tex] and then do the same for y.

I understand your struggle and I am here to help. Let's work through this problem together.

First, let's review the information we have been given. We have two charged particles, q1 and q2, with fixed coordinates in the xy plane. We also know their respective charges: q1 = +3.5 µC and q2 = -4.0 µC.

For part (a), you correctly calculated the magnitude of the electrostatic force on q2 to be 94.98868N. This is the force that q1 exerts on q2 due to their charges and the distance between them.

For part (b), you also correctly found the direction of this force to be -15.9453959° counterclockwise from the +x axis. This is the direction in which q2 will be pushed by the electrostatic force from q1.

Now, for part (c), we need to find the coordinates where a third charge, q3 = +5.5 µC, can be placed such that the net electrostatic force on q3 due to q1 and q2 is zero. In other words, we need to find the point where the forces from q1 and q2 balance each other out.

To do this, we can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the electrostatic force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Mathematically, this can be written as:

F = k(q1q2)/r^2

Where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

Since we want the net force on q3 to be zero, we can set up the following equation:

F1 + F2 = 0

Where F1 is the force from q1 and F2 is the force from q2. Substituting in the values we know, we get:

k(q1q3)/r1^2 + k(q2q3)/r2^2 = 0

Where r1 and r2 are the distances between q1 and q3, and q2 and q3, respectively.

Now, we can solve for r1 and r2 by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for r. This will give us

Related to Calculating Electrostatic Force: q1 and q2

1. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic force between two point charges?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic force between two point charges, q1 and q2, is given by F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2) and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do the magnitudes of the two charges affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charges is directly proportional to the magnitudes of the charges. This means that the greater the magnitude of the charges, the stronger the electrostatic force will be.

3. Can the electrostatic force be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the electrostatic force can be either attractive or repulsive. Like charges (positive and positive, or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.

4. How does distance between the charges affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electrostatic force decreases.

5. What are the units of electrostatic force?

The units of electrostatic force are Newtons (N), which is a measure of force in the metric system. In the CGS system, the unit of electrostatic force is the dyne (1 N = 10^5 dynes).