Calculating Electrostatic Force on a Particle with Coulomb's Law

In summary, the problem involved finding the magnitude of electrostatic force on a third particle with a charge of 9 x 10^-6 C placed on the x-axis at -2 cm. By using Coulomb's Law and converting the given charges and distances, the forces from the first and second particles were calculated and then added together to get a final result of 2.923 x 10^-19 N. However, the issue with the incorrect value for the Coulomb constant of 8.9875 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 was identified and corrected by realizing that it should be 1/(4\pi \epsilon_0) instead.
Punchlinegirl
A particle with charge 5[tex]\mu[/tex]C is located on the x-axis at the point -6 cm, and a second particle with charge -8 [tex]\mu[/tex]C is placed on the x-axis at 10 cm. The Coulomb constant is 8.9875 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. What is the magnitude of the total electrostatic force on a third particle with charge 9[tex]\mu[/tex]C placed on the x-axis at -2 cm. Answer in units of N.
First I converted everything.
-8[tex]\mu[/tex]C= -8 x 10^-6 C
5 [tex]\mu[/tex]C= 5 x 10^-6 C
9 [tex]\mu[/tex]C= 9 x 10^-6 C
-6 cm= -.06 m
-2 cm= -.02 m
10 cm=.10 m
then I drew a free body diagram for the forces on the third particle and found that both forces point to the right, since the first particle has a positive charge, and the second has a negative charge.
Then I used Coulomb's Law,
For the first charge,
[tex] F= 1/4\pi \epsilon * (5 x 10^-6 * 9 x 10^-6) / (.04)^2 [/tex]
Simplifying this gave me [tex] 1/4\pi \epsilon * 2.81 x 10^-8 [/tex]
Plugging in 8.9875 x 10^9 for E and solving gave me 2.48 x 10-19.
Then I did the same thing for the next charge.
[tex] F= 1/4\pi \epsilon * (-8 x 10^-6 * 9 x 10^-6)/ (.12)^2 [/tex]
so [tex] 1/4\pi \epsilon * 5 x 10^-9 [/tex]
Plugging in for E and solving gave me 4.43 x 10^-20.
I then added these together, and got 2.923 x 10^-19 N, which wasn't right.
Can someone please help me? I don't understand electrostatics at all!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but I suspect the problem is here:
Punchlinegirl said:
The Coulomb constant is 8.9875 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.
Realize that the Coulomb constant [tex]k = 1/(4\pi \epsilon_0)[/tex].

Plugging in 8.9875 x 10^9 for E and solving
Realize that that number is k, not [tex]\epsilon_0[/tex].

Other than that, your solution looks OK.

Thanks so much Doc Al. Now I'm finally getting some right answers on my homework. :cool:

Related to Calculating Electrostatic Force on a Particle with Coulomb's Law

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

How does the distance between charged particles affect the force according to Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which means that doubling the distance between two charged particles will result in a quarter of the original force.

What is the mathematical formula for Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is mathematically represented as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is a constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

Can Coulomb's Law be applied to all charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to all charged particles regardless of their size, shape, or composition. It is a fundamental law of physics that governs the behavior of electrically charged particles.