Calculating Electron Velocity in Crossed E and B Fields

In summary, the required velocity for an electron to travel straight through the crossed E and B fields is 2.5 x 105 m/s. This can be calculated using the formula v = E/B, where E is the electric field and B is the magnetic field.
Schaus

Homework Statement

What velocity does an electron need to have in order to travel straight through the crossed E and B fields, given that E = 1.0 x 105 N/C and B = 0.40 T?
Answer: 2.5 x 105 m/s

Homework Equations

E=F/Q
F=BIl
F=QvB[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.0 x 105N/C / 1.6 x 10-19 = 6.25 x 1023N. I rearranged F=QvB - v=F/QB
v = 6.25 x 1023N/ (1.6 x 10-19)(0.40T). I'm left with 9.765 x 1042 but I know this isn't my velocity but I'm confused on where to go or what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They give you the electric field, not force.
F=QE

I'm still at a loss then. I've switched to the E=KQ/r2 formula and rearranged it to get radius but I don't know how that helps me find velocity.

I found the answer but I'm not sure exactly what I did. I found a formula for electromagnetism on wikipedia - F=(v x B) and I took 1.0 x 105/0.40T and got my answer.

You were on the right path with F=QvB, and since (E) is given, I used the formula F=E*Q to replace (F) in the first equation.

Then got EQ=QvB
v=EQ/QB
v=E/B and got the answer 2.5*10^5 m/s.
which is the same answer you just found as well.

Sorry for any confusion, hopefully this helped.

Likes Schaus
Awesome! Thank you! This makes much more sense!

Related to Calculating Electron Velocity in Crossed E and B Fields

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force that arises between charged particles due to their motion. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and is also involved in the behavior of electrically charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic force is calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic force and magnetic field?

Magnetic force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a greater magnetic force on a charged particle. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force.

4. Can magnetic force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic force can be shielded or blocked by using materials such as iron or steel that are highly permeable to magnetic fields. These materials redirect the magnetic field lines, causing the force to be redirected as well.

5. How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force has a wide range of applications in everyday life. It is used in motors and generators to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines and in electronic devices such as speakers and hard drives.