Calculating electric potential with a uniform elect field

In summary: So the potential difference ##V##, the integral of the electric field, is given by:$$V=-325\cos{(37.38)}=-150.0$$In summary, the electric potential at the point where x = 5.00 m and y = 12.0 m is -150.0 V. This can be found by resolving the electric field into horizontal and vertical components and using the dot product of the electric field and position vector.
Nick Jarvis

Homework Statement

In a certain region of space, there is a uniform electric field of magnitude
25.0 V m^-1 directed at 30.0 degrees to the direction of the positive x-axis and at 60.0 degrees to the direction of the positive y-axis. (There is no z component of the electric field.) The electric potential at the origin is +150 V. What is the electric potential at the point where x = 5:00 m and y = 12:0 m?[/B]

Homework Equations

I know this is an easy question, but I cannot get my head around it. In the first instance I used:

25.0Vm^-1 = potential difference/distance
Using Pythag, I get the distance to be sqr(5^2 + 12^2) = 13.0m

I know I need to resolve the electric field horizontally and vertically (otherwise I wouldn't have been given the angles). This is exam preparation so I have the answer, but it doesn't give the workings out. If it was all along the horizontal, my answer would be -175V. The answer is NOT this for obvious reasons.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried resolving the electric field along the x and y. 25cos30 = 21.7 and 25sin30 = 12.5

Then using 21.7V^m-1 x 5.0m = 108.5V along the x direction and
12.5V^m-1 x 12.0m = 150.0V, then I tried to using pythag again but my answer does not match with the correct answer. I know I am making it so much more complicated than it needs to be.

Hopefully I have provided the correct info.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick Jarvis said:
then I tried to using pythag again
Pyth is nice for adding vectors. Here you want to add scalars (the potentials). With ##\Delta V = -\int \vec E \cdot d\vec r \ \ \ ## I get -108 Volt...

Likes Nick Jarvis
Thanks BvU. Have I done anything correctly? You're spot on with the result, I just cannot work out how to get there. Cheers

You have $$dV=-E_xdx-E_ydy$$This is independent of path. So, first you can integrate with respect to x at constant y, and then you can integrate with respect to y at constant x (or vice versa).

Likes Nick Jarvis
Nick Jarvis said:
Have I done anything correctly?
Yes you have: the two numbers (scalar values for the potential differences) are just fine. All you have to do is give them the right sign (a minus sign for both) add them up ! As numbers, not as vectors. With the 150 V at the origin the sum total is -108

Likes Nick Jarvis
Thanks v much. I cannot find this in my notes at all. Assuming the -108V is due to 3sf? Rather than my 108.5V?

So 150V at the origin. I then resolve in the x and y direction. Cannot work out though why it is 150V - 150V -108V, when we're looking at the +x/y directions? Like I said, this should be such an easy question, but I am really struggling with it.

Many thanks

Nick Jarvis said:
Thanks v much. I cannot find this in my notes at all. Assuming the -108V is due to 3sf? Rather than my 108.5V?

So 150V at the origin. I then resolve in the x and y direction. Cannot work out though why it is 150V - 150V -108V, when we're looking at the +x/y directions? Like I said, this should be such an easy question, but I am really struggling with it.

Many thanks
V=150-21.7x-12.5y

Likes Nick Jarvis
Nick Jarvis said:
I cannot find this in my notes at all
There must be something relating ##V## and ##\vec E##, though ?
Do you recognize/understand my ##
\Delta V = -\int \vec E \cdot d\vec r \ \ \ ## and Chet's ##\ \ dV=-E_x\,dx-E_y\,dy \ \ ## ?

Once you do it's easy to find $$ \begin{align} V(5,12) & = V(0,0) + \Delta V \\ & = V(0,0) -\int \vec E \cdot d\vec r \\ & =V(0,0) - \int_0^5 \int_0^{12} \left ( E_x \, dx + E_y\,dy \right ) \\ & = V(0,0) -\int_0^5 E_x \, dx - \int_0^{12} E_y\,dy \end{align} $$

Likes Nick Jarvis
Thank-you both. For some reason I was making it way more complicated than it needed to be. Going to work through a few more examples now.

Again, a huge thanks :)

Alternatively,

The vector ##\mathbf{x}## is given by $$\mathbf(x)=13 (\sin{(67.38)}\mathbf{i}+\cos{(67.38)}\mathbf{j})$$ and the electric field ##\mathbf{E}## is given by
$$\mathbf{E}=25(\sin{(30)}\mathbf{i}+\cos{(30)}\mathbf{j})$$ So the dot product of ##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{x}## is given by:$$\mathbf{E}\centerdot{x}=325(\sin{(67.38)}\sin{(30)}+\cos{(67.38)}\cos{(30)})=325 \cos {(67.38-30)}=325\cos{(37.38)}$$This is just the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors times the cosine of the angle between them.

Likes Nick Jarvis

Related to Calculating electric potential with a uniform elect field

1. How do you calculate electric potential with a uniform electric field?

To calculate electric potential with a uniform electric field, you can use the formula V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance from the source of the field.

2. What units are used to measure electric potential?

The SI unit for electric potential is volts (V). However, it can also be measured in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

3. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This usually occurs when the electric field is directed towards the source of the field, causing a decrease in potential energy of a charged particle.

4. How does the distance from the source of the electric field affect electric potential?

The electric potential is directly proportional to the distance from the source of the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

5. Can electric potential be calculated at any point in a uniform electric field?

Yes, electric potential can be calculated at any point in a uniform electric field, as long as the distance from the source of the field is known.