Calculating Electric Potential Energy for a Charge Configuration

In summary, the student is trying to find the potential energy of a charge due to another charge. They are not sure why they need to calculate the potential energy of charge 2 due to charge 3, but they believe it is because that is what is happening.
synergix

Homework Statement

Compute the electric potential energy for the charge configuration shown below.

http://webct6.nic.bc.ca/webct/RelativeResourceManager/Template/CourseMaterials/CourseContent_2007FA/Assignments/PHY060W_Assignment_07_files/image025.jpg

Homework Equations

TPE=PE11+PE12+(PE13+PE23)

The Attempt at a Solution

TPE=PE11+PE12+(PE13+PE23)
| TPE= 0J+[(q1KQ2)/r2] + [(q1KQ3)/r1 + (q2KQ3)/r3]
|
q1=-3.0 microcoloumb
q2=2.0microcoloumb
q3=5.0microcoloumb

| where q1 is charge 1, q2 and Q2 are charge 2, Q3 is charge 3, r1 is the distance between q1 and Q3, r2 is the distance between charge 1 and 2, r3 is the distance between q2 and Q3.

I have chosen charge one to base my calculations off. I had problems before with this question and I was instructed to find charge one due to charge one + PE on charge one due to charge 2 + (PE on charge 1 due to charge 3 + PE on charge 2 due to charge 3) I am not sure why I need to calculate the potential energy on charge 2 due to charge 3. So I need to know if my equation is correct and also why I need to calculate the potential energy of charge 2 due to charge 3 when I am using charge one to base my calculations off of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing a figure showing the charges, I will say that the total potential energy is the potential due to each pair of charges.

Your equation looks correct. Not sure why you bothered with the "PE11" term, since it's just 0, or why you chose to use different symbols (q2 and Q2) for one of the charges. But it is correct. If the figure shows what r1, r2, and r3 are, you can go ahead and plug in the numbers.

Ok thanks I used the small q to indicate that it was the charge being acted upon by the big Q. I believe that is what is happening. its just personal preference I suppose albeit kinda pointless and possibly confusing if you don't know why I am doing that.

sorry for the double post

Related to Calculating Electric Potential Energy for a Charge Configuration

1. What is electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object or system as a result of its position in an electric field. It is a type of potential energy that is created by the separation of positive and negative charges.

2. How is electrical potential energy measured?

Electrical potential energy is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in electron volts (eV), which is a unit of energy commonly used in physics and chemistry.

3. What factors affect the amount of electrical potential energy?

The amount of electrical potential energy depends on the amount of charge and the distance between the charges. The greater the amount of charge and the closer the charges are to each other, the greater the electrical potential energy.

4. What is the relationship between electrical potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in an electric field. In other words, it is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit of charge. The relationship between the two is given by the equation: electric potential = electrical potential energy/charge.

5. How is electrical potential energy used in everyday life?

Electrical potential energy is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as batteries, power plants, and electrical outlets. It is also used in various technologies, such as electric cars and solar panels, to convert electrical potential energy into other forms of energy to power our homes and devices.