Calculating Electric Force between Charged Balloon and Denim

In summary, when a balloon rubbed against denim gains a charge of -8 microC, the electric force between them when separated by a distance of 5.0 cm can be calculated using the equation F electric = K q1 X q2 / r^2. The steps to solve this problem may include determining the charge on the denim, which would be the opposite of the balloon's charge, and using the given equation to find the electric force. Additionally, the charge on the balloon and denim may have started as neutral and changed after the rubbing.
freeofwork
Question:

A baloon rubbed aginst denim gains a charge of -8microC. What is the electric force between the balloon and the denim when the two are separated by a distance of 5.0 cm? (Assume that the charges are located at a point.)

Equations used:
F electric = K q1 X q 2 / r^2

Steps Tried:
How can I solve this is I only have one charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
freeofwork said:
Question:

A baloon rubbed aginst denim gains a charge of -8microC. What is the electric force between the balloon and the denim when the two are separated by a distance of 5.0 cm? (Assume that the charges are located at a point.)

Equations used:
F electric = K q1 X q 2 / r^2

Steps Tried:
How can I solve this is I only have one charge?
From where did the balloon pick up its charge ?

SammyS said:
From where did the balloon pick up its charge ?

The denim.

freeofwork said:
The denim.
So, what do you suppose the charge on the denim is after giving up -8 μC of charge ?

Is the balloon and denim at first neutral? Then I guess the balloon would have a -8microC and the denim a +8microC. If this is correct, then I know how to solve this problem.

Thank you for making my brain actively think!

Related to Calculating Electric Force between Charged Balloon and Denim

1. What is Coulomb's Law of a balloon?

Coulomb's Law of a balloon refers to the physical principle that explains the repulsive force between two charged objects, such as a balloon and a person's hair. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects is directly proportional to the magnitude of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to static electricity?

Coulomb's Law is directly related to static electricity because it helps to explain the behavior of charged objects. When two objects with opposite charges come into contact, they will attract each other due to the force of attraction described by Coulomb's Law. Similarly, two objects with the same charge will repel each other due to the force of repulsion described by the law.

3. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the strength of the force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force between them decreases. This is why a balloon will only stick to someone's hair when it is close enough to create a strong enough force of attraction.

4. What units are used to measure the force between charged objects?

The force between charged objects is measured in newtons (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton, and it is the standard unit of force in the metric system. In the context of Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects is typically a very small amount, so it may be measured in micro-newtons (μN) or nano-newtons (nN).

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to all types of charged objects?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to all types of charged objects, regardless of their size or composition. This law only depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them, so it can be used to explain the behavior of small objects like balloons as well as large objects like planets and stars.