Calculating Electric Flux Density in a Dielectric Material

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric field, electric flux density, and dielectric materials in a condenser. The formula for flux density with a dielectric present is debated, with the conclusion that D is equal regardless of the presence of a dielectric. The concept of free charge and bound charge is also mentioned, along with how it affects the calculation of electric field. The conversation ends by stating that the charge on both plates of a condenser is always the same, but the charge density may differ in certain cases.
Nikitin
Hey. So if I have a condenser, where the electric field between the plates is equivalent to 50kV/m, the electric flux density D= ε0*50kV/m.

If I insert a dielectic between the plates, the electric field will decrease to 10kV/m, and kappa (the relative permittivity) equals 5. So, will the flux density D = ε0κ*10kV/m, or D = ε0κ*50kV/m?

The first one makes more sense to me, but I am unsure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Nikitin! :smile:
Nikitin said:
If I insert a dialectic between the plates, the electric field will decrease to 10kV/m, and kappa (the relative permitivity) equals 5. So, will the flux density D = ε0κ*10kV/m, or D = ε0κ*50kV/m?

The first one makes more sense to me, but I am unsure.

(is this a marxist dialectic? :wink:)

D (the electric displacement field) is related only to free charge

(as opposed to E, which is related to total charge, and P, which is only related to bound charge)

so the presence of the dielectric (and the bound charge in it) makes no difference …

if there is a volume density of free charge, divD is always equal to it

if there is a surface density of free charge, |D| is always equal to it :smile:

(and in particular, D for a parallel plate capacitor depends only on the (free) charge on the plates, not on the dielectric between the plates:

D = σn, and E is then calculated from D and from the dielectric)​

So D should be equal for the condenser regardless if there is a dielectric present or not?

PS: Sorry about my spelling!

Yes (assuming the surface charge density on the plates is the same). :smile:

Uhm, you can have condensers where the surface-charge density isn't equal among the plates?

Well, at least the charge Q on both the plates is the same. Right?

Nikitin said:
Well, at least the charge Q on both the plates is the same. Right?

Yes, the charge on both plates is the same.

But on eg a spherical capacitor, although the charge is the same, obviously the charge density is different.

Related to Calculating Electric Flux Density in a Dielectric Material

What is electric flux density?

Electric flux density, also known as electric displacement, is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is represented by the symbol D.

How is electric flux density related to electric field?

Electric flux density is directly related to electric field by the equation D = εE, where ε is the permittivity of the material the electric field is passing through. This relationship shows that electric flux density is proportional to electric field, with the constant of proportionality being the permittivity.

What are the units of electric flux density?

The SI unit for electric flux density is coulombs per square meter (C/m^2). However, it is also commonly expressed in volts per meter (V/m) since electric field is often measured in volts.

How is electric flux density used in Gauss's law?

Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity. Electric flux density is used in this law to calculate the electric field at a point given the charge distribution in the surrounding area.

What factors affect the electric flux density?

The electric flux density at a point is affected by the strength of the electric field, the permittivity of the material, and the shape and size of the surface through which the electric field is passing. It is also affected by the presence of any dielectric materials in the surrounding area that may change the permittivity.