Calculating Electric Field Using Gauss' Law for a Charged Insulating Slab

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the electric field due to a slab of insulating material with thickness 2d and parallel faces at x=d and x=-d. The charge density of the slab is given by ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)^2 and the y- and z-dimensions of the slab are considered to be infinite. Using Gauss's law, the electric field is found by taking the integral of the charge density over the volume of the slab and setting it equal to the electric flux through a Gaussian surface. The Gaussian surface is chosen to be a cylinder with one face at x=0 and the other at x=x < d. The areas on both sides of the equation are equal, and the
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

A slab of insulating material has thickness 2d and is oriented so that its faces are parallel to the yz-plane and given by the planes x=d and x=−d. The y- and z-dimensions of the slab are very large compared to d and may be treated as essentially infinite. Let the charge density of the slab be given by ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)^2 where ρ0 is a positive constant.Using Gauss's law, find the magnitude of the electric field due to the slab at 0<|x|<d.

Homework Equations

ρ=Q/V

=∫E*dA= (Q_encl)/ϵ0

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by choosing a cylinder as my gaussian surface; I placed one face of the cylinder on X=0(parallel with the yz plane) and the other on X=x <d. By symmetry, the electric flux simplifies to EA=(Q_encl)/ϵ0

=> EA=(ρ(x)V_encl)/ϵ0
=>EA=(ρ(x)Ax)/ϵ0
=> E=(ρ(x)*x)/ϵ0
=>E=(ρ0*x^3)/(ϵ0*d^2)
this is wrong and I don't know why. The correct answer contains a 3 in the denominator but I don't know why

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:

Homework Statement

A slab of insulating material has thickness 2d and is oriented so that its faces are parallel to the yz-plane and given by the planes x=d and x=−d. The y- and z-dimensions of the slab are very large compared to d and may be treated as essentially infinite. Let the charge density of the slab be given by ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)2 where ρ0 is a positive constant.Using Gauss's law, find the magnitude of the electric field due to the slab at 0<|x|<d.

Homework Equations

ρ=Q/V

=∫E*dA= (Q_encl)/ϵ0

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by choosing a cylinder as my gaussian surface; I placed one face of the cylinder on X=0(parallel with the yz plane) and the other on X=x <d. By symmetry, the electric flux simplifies to EA=(Q_encl)/ϵ0

=> EA=(ρ(x)V_encl)/ϵ0
=>EA=(ρ(x)Ax)/ϵ0
=> E=(ρ(x)*x)/ϵ0
=>E=(ρ0*x^3)/(ϵ0*d^2)
this is wrong and I don't know why. The correct answer contains a 3 in the denominator but I don't know why

Did you mean that the charge density is ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)2 or is that 2 an exponent?

I suspect that you meant ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)2

The three in the denominator is the result of taking the anti-derivative of x2.

Could you please edit the equation for charge density? The "2" doesn't look like its a super script
Firstly, in the last four steps , the A on the LHS is not the same A on the RHS, try drawing it,
Secondly, do you think you can just substitute for ##\rho (x)## as given in the question
The charge density varies with radius of the Gaussian surface you take
First start off by calculating total charge enclosed.

Suraj M said:
Could you please edit the equation for charge density? The "2" doesn't look like its a super script
Firstly, in the last four steps , the A on the LHS is not the same A on the RHS, try drawing it,
Secondly, do you think you can just substitute for ##\rho (x)## as given in the question
The charge density varies with radius of the Gaussian surface you take
First start off by calculating total charge enclosed.
I can see now how just substituting for ρ(x) would be incorrect, but I don' see why the areas on both sides aren't the same. The area on the left hand side is the area=pi*r^2 of the face on the cylinder, and on the right hand side, the volume is the same area=pi*r^2 multiplied by the length of the cylinder "x"

SammyS said:
Did you mean that the charge density is ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)2 or is that 2 an exponent?

I suspect that you meant ρ(x)=ρ0(x/d)2

The three in the denominator is the result of taking the anti-derivative of x2.
Yes I typed it in incorrectly. So I must first integrate the charge density to find the total charge enclosed by the gaussian surface?

Elvis 123456789 said:
Yes I typed it in incorrectly. So I must first integrate the charge density to find the total charge enclosed by the gaussian surface?
Yes, you must integrate.

(The areas are equal on both sides. You were right about that. )

SammyS said:
Yes, you must integrate.

ok so I first imagine that the gaussian surface has an infinitesimal length "dx" which encloses an infinitesimal charge "dQ".

then dQ=ρ(x)*dV
=> dQ=ρ(x)*A*dx
=> dQ=ρ0(x/d)^2 *A*dx
=>Q_enlcosed=(ρ0*A)/(d^2)∫(x^2)dx (integral from X=0 to X=x < d)
=> Q_enclosed= (ρ0*A*x^3)/(3*d^2)
then plugging into gauss' law

=> EA= (ρ0*A*x^3)/(3*d^2)*1/ϵ0
=> E=(ρ0*x^3)/(3*ϵ0*d^2)
is it correct to think about it this way?

SammyS said:
Hi sammy
I don't mean to confuse the OP, so may I ask how the areas are the same I always thought that the areas in EdA is the curved surface of the cylinder and the area on the RHS( in this case) would be a circle in the XY plane with the length (which is infinity) along z axis

Suraj M said:
Hi sammy
I don't mean to confuse the OP, so may I ask how the areas are the same I always thought that the areas in EdA is the curved surface of the cylinder and the area on the RHS( in this case) would be a circle in the XY plane with the length (which is infinity) along z axis
Oh okay, I took the wrong cylinder, even then the area on the LHS is it just the circular surface parallel to the YZ plane ?

Suraj M said:
Oh okay, I took the wrong cylinder, even then the area on the LHS is it just the circular surface parallel to the YZ plane ?
While we're on the topic, I'll add why I think they're the same so anybody can correct me if I'm wrong.
The area in the LHS of gauss' law(∫E*dA) represents the area of the closed surface that contributes to the electric flux; in other words, if some area of the gaussian surface doesn't have a perpendicular component of electric field going through it, then it doesn't show up on the left hand side. In the problem I posted, only the face of the cylinder at X=x < d, has some electric field going through it; the area of the curved surface doesn't contribute because everywhere along the curved surface the electric field is parallel to the surface. On the RHS the other area comes from the total enclosed charge (Q_enclosed) which can usually be substituted for ρ*V_enclosed (if the charge density is uniform as I have found out in this problem). Then the enclosed volume(V_enclosed) would be the area of the face on the cylinder(A=pi*r^2) multiplied by the length of the cylinder(x).

Suraj M said:
Right !

Thanks Elvis for posting
I learned a lot from it too [emoji2]

Suraj M said:
Thanks Elvis for posting
I learned a lot from it too [emoji2]
Thank you for helping!

Related to Calculating Electric Field Using Gauss' Law for a Charged Insulating Slab

1. What is Gauss' law and how is it used in science?

Gauss' law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface. This law is used in various applications such as calculating electric fields due to point charges, charged spheres, and charged plates.

2. How does Gauss' law apply to conductors and insulators?

Gauss' law can be used to determine the distribution of charges on a conductor's surface. According to the law, the electric field inside a conductor is zero, so any excess charge on the surface must reside on the outermost surface. In contrast, insulators do not allow the flow of electric charges, so Gauss' law cannot be applied to them.

3. Can Gauss' law be used to calculate the electric field inside a charged spherical shell?

Yes, Gauss' law can be used to calculate the electric field inside a charged spherical shell. Since the electric field inside a conductor is zero, the electric field inside a spherical shell with a charged interior will also be zero. This is because the electric charges on the interior of the shell will create an equal and opposite electric field, canceling out the electric field due to the exterior charges.

4. How does Gauss' law relate to Coulomb's law?

Gauss' law is a more general form of Coulomb's law. Coulomb's law only applies to point charges, while Gauss' law can be applied to any charge distribution. Gauss' law also takes into account the symmetry of the charge distribution, making it a more powerful tool for calculating electric fields.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss' law?

Gauss' law has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in the design of electrostatic shields, electric motors, and capacitors. It is also used in the study of planetary and atmospheric electric fields. Additionally, Gauss' law is integral in understanding the behavior of lightning and in the development of lightning protection systems.