Calculating Electric Field of Cylindrical Rod and Shell

In summary: Gauss's Law states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. In this case, the gaussian surface only encloses the positive charge from the rod, so the electric field from the shell does not contribute to the net electric flux. Therefore, the electric field between the rod and the shell is only influenced by the charge from the rod, resulting in E(r) = lambda/(epsilon_0 * 2(pi)r). In summary, Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field between an infinitely long conducting cylindrical rod with a positive charge and a conducting cylindrical shell with a negative charge, using a gaussian surface just larger than the rod but smaller than the shell. The
hover

Homework Statement

An infinitely long conducting cylindrical rod with a positive charge lambda per unit length is surrounded by a conducting cylindrical shell (which is also infinitely long) with a charge per unit length of -2 \lambda and radius r_1, as shown in the figure.

What is E(r), the radial component of the electric field between the rod and cylindrical shell as a function of the distance r from the axis of the cylindrical rod?
Express your answer in terms of lambda, r, and epsilon_0, the permittivity of free space.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I put a Gaussian surface just larger than the rod but smaller than the shell. First I calculate the electric field from the rod.

E(2L(pi)r)=Q/e
E=Q/(e(2L(pi)r))
Q=L[tex]\lambda[/tex]
E1=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(e(2(pi)r))

Thats field one. Now I do the same thing to calculate the second field

E=q/(e(2L(pi)r))

where q = -2[tex]\lambda[/tex]L

E2= -2[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(e(2(pi)r))

Now I should add the fields to find the field inside the shell and outside the rod and I get

-[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(e(2(pi)r))

That was my answer but I am not sure if this is right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
What second field? Your gaussian surface encloses no negative charge. What you call "field one" is the answer. It seems you are unsure about how Gauss's Law works. It might be a good idea to review it.

kuruman said:
What second field? Your gaussian surface encloses no negative charge. What you call "field one" is the answer. It seems you are unsure about how Gauss's Law works. It might be a good idea to review it.

But doesn't the electric field from the shell also emit an electric field that passes through the same gaussian surface?

No, it does not.

Related to Calculating Electric Field of Cylindrical Rod and Shell

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a cylindrical rod?

The formula for calculating the electric field of a cylindrical rod is E = kλ / r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod.

2. How is the linear charge density of a cylindrical rod determined?

The linear charge density of a cylindrical rod is determined by dividing the total charge of the rod by its length. This can be represented as λ = Q / L, where λ is the linear charge density, Q is the total charge, and L is the length of the rod.

3. Is the electric field the same at all points around a cylindrical rod?

No, the electric field is not the same at all points around a cylindrical rod. It is strongest at the ends of the rod and decreases as the distance from the rod increases. This can be seen in the formula E = kλ / r, where the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the rod.

4. Can the electric field of a cylindrical rod be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a cylindrical rod can be negative. This would occur if the charge on the rod is negative, resulting in a negative value for the electric field. However, the magnitude of the electric field will still follow the same pattern as described in the formula E = kλ / r.

5. How is the electric field of a cylindrical shell different from that of a cylindrical rod?

The electric field of a cylindrical shell is different from that of a cylindrical rod because the charge distribution is different. A cylindrical shell has charge distributed on the outer surface, while a cylindrical rod has charge distributed along its length. The formula for calculating the electric field of a cylindrical shell is E = kQ / r, where Q is the total charge of the shell and r is the distance from the shell.