Calculating Electric Field of a Metal Sphere

In summary, a metal sphere of radius R = 10 cm carries a total charge Q = 0.4 μC. The magnitude of the electric field just outside the sphere is 2.86×102N/C and points towards the sphere. Inside the sphere, the electric field is 0 and has no direction. The equation used to calculate the electric field is E=q/(4pi*e*r^2), where "e" represents the electric constant. To find the charge on the metal ball, the equation q=286(4pi)(0.0361^2)(8.85E-12) can be used. The charge will have a negative sign since the field points towards the center of the ball.
chukie
A metal sphere of radius R = 10 cm carries a total charge Q = 0.4 μC.

A. What is the magnitude of the electric field just outside the sphere, and in which direction is it pointing?

B. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field just inside the sphere?

I have already found the magnitude of the electric field for each, but I am not sure about the direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
chukie said:
A metal sphere of radius R = 10 cm carries a total charge Q = 0.4 μC.

A. What is the magnitude of the electric field just outside the sphere, and in which direction is it pointing?

B. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field just inside the sphere?

I have already found the magnitude of the electric field for each, but I am not sure about the direction.
Let's start with case A. How did you determine the magnitude? (Your method should also help you determine the direction).

For case B, the fact that you are attempting to determine the direction of the electric field tells me you have calculated it's magnitude incorrectly.

Hootenanny said:
Let's start with case A. How did you determine the magnitude? (Your method should also help you determine the direction).

I used the equation E=q/(4pi*e*r^2)

chukie said:
I used the equation E=q/(4pi*e*r^2)
That is the electric field for a point charge q, so in what direction does the electric field of a point charge point?

Hootenanny said:
That is the electric field for a point charge q, so in what direction does the electric field of a point charge point?

Outwards, since the charge is positive?

Hootenanny said:

Btw do you mean that the equation I used is wrong?

chukie said:
Btw do you mean that the equation I used is wrong?
Nope your equation is quite correct, I was simply giving you a hint.
chukie said:
Outwards, since the charge is positive?
Radially outwards from the centre of the sphere, correct :approve:.

Okay thanks! For B then I know that the field is 0. Does this mean there is no direction?

chukie said:
Okay thanks! For B then I know that the field is 0. Does this mean there is no direction?
Correct again.

Thanks for your help! =)

chukie said:
Thanks for your help! =)
A pleasure :smile:

im doing a question similar to this, except i need to find the charge on the ball. What does the "e" stand for in your equation?

K3nt70 said:
im doing a question similar to this, except i need to find the charge on the ball. What does the "e" stand for in your equation?

that's the electric constant.

ohh ok. so, the question is:

The field just outside a 3.61 cm radius metal ball is 2.86×102N/C and points toward the ball. What charge resides on the ball?

my equation should look like:

286(4pi)(0.0361^2)(8.85E-12) = q

right?

K3nt70 said:
ohh ok. so, the question is:

The field just outside a 3.61 cm radius metal ball is 2.86×102N/C and points toward the ball. What charge resides on the ball?

my equation should look like:

286(4pi)(0.0361^2)(8.85E-12) = q

right?

yah that should be right. check the sign of ur charge though.

yup. the charge was neg since the field pointed toward the center of the ball. Thanks!

K3nt70 said:
yup. the charge was neg since the field pointed toward the center of the ball. Thanks!

No prob =)

Related to Calculating Electric Field of a Metal Sphere

1. How do I calculate the electric field of a metal sphere?

To calculate the electric field of a metal sphere, you will need to know the charge of the sphere and the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where you want to calculate the electric field. Then, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

2. Can the electric field of a metal sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a metal sphere can be negative if the charge of the sphere is negative. The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point.

3. How does the electric field of a metal sphere change with distance?

The electric field of a metal sphere decreases with distance. As the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the electric field decreases because the inverse square law states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. Can the electric field of a metal sphere be affected by external electric fields?

Yes, the electric field of a metal sphere can be affected by external electric fields. The electric field of the sphere will be distorted by the external electric field, and the resulting electric field will be the sum of the two fields.

5. How does the charge distribution of a metal sphere affect its electric field?

The charge distribution of a metal sphere does not affect its electric field. This is because the electric field outside of a metal sphere is only dependent on the total charge of the sphere, not the distribution of that charge.