Calculating Electric Field from Force on a Charge

In summary, a 4C charge experiences a force of 45i. To find the electric field at the charge, we can use the equation E=F/q, where F is the force and q is the charge. Since we know that F=45i and q=4, we can plug these values into the equation to get E=45/4=11.25. However, if the "i" in "45i" represents the x-direction, then the correct answer would be 14i N/C. It is important to double check all values and equations to ensure accuracy in calculations.
phy43

Homework Statement

A 4C charge experiences 45i of force. What is the electric field at the charge?

Homework Equations

F=qE --> E=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=4
F=45i 0j

I don't really know how to find the actual force from this component without an angle or anything.

E=45/4 = 11.25.. this is the wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me. What does the "i" mean in "45i"? If it means the x direction, then you may need an "i" on the 11.25, too.

i is the x-component and for some reason the answer is 14i N/C, but i don't know why

Check the 4 C and the 45 N; if they are correct then your answer is correct and the 14 is wrong. It should be reported to whoever marks your work.

Related to Calculating Electric Field from Force on a Charge

What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a region around a charged particle or object in which other charged particles will experience a force. This force is caused by the interaction between the charges and is represented by electric field lines.

How is the electrical field of a charge calculated?

The electrical field of a charge is calculated by dividing the force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electrical field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

What factors affect the strength of an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field is affected by the magnitude of the charge creating the field, the distance from the charge, and the medium in which the field exists. The strength of the field decreases with distance and can be affected by the presence of other charges or conductive materials.

Can the direction of an electrical field change?

Yes, the direction of an electrical field can change depending on the location and movement of other charges in the vicinity. The direction of the field is always directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

What are some real-life applications of the electrical field of a charge?

The electrical field of a charge has many real-life applications, including powering electrical devices, generating electricity in power plants, and controlling the movement of charged particles in technologies such as cathode ray tubes and particle accelerators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and other electrical phenomena in nature.