Calculating Electric Field Change due to UV Laser Emission

Plugging in our values, we get V = (9.04×10^11 N/C) x (10×10^-3 m) = 9.04×10^9 V.In summary, we have calculated the charge density of the electron cloud to be 8×10^-10 C/m^2 and the electric field to be 9.04×10^11 N/C. We have also found that the potential difference across the cloud is 9.04×10^9 V. Therefore, the electric field effectively changes over a distance of 10 mm.I hope this helps to clarify the solution for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your studies!
02pedwsa

Homework Statement

A very short pulse UV laser is used to liberate a number of electrons from the negative plate in the arrangement in (ii) above(describes parallel plate capacitor system, states plate thickness and separation in vacuum ignore edge effects, charge density and electric field calculated). The electrons drift towards the positive plate under the influence of the electric field over a time scale much longer than the laser pulse length. Suppose that after the centre of the cloud has traveled approximately 10 mm the spatial distribution of the charge is described by a Gaussian distribution with a standard deviation of 0.5 mm. Calculate the change in electric field across the electron cloud if 5×10^9 electrons m-2 were emitted during the laser pulse. Over what distance does the electric field effectively change?

Homework Equations

I believe i have to use gauss's law in its differential form V.E=P/e P=charge density e=8.85x10^12
with V.E being the divergence of the electric which i hope i can equate to the 10mm spatial distribution quoted but i really am stuck, I've been attempting it in all different ways and really haven't got a clue. If anyone can help please be as specific as possible as i could sit here all year otherwise

The Attempt at a Solution

ive made various attempts but all have thrown out wild looking answers

Cheers sam

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion and I will try to explain the solution in a step-by-step manner. First, let's review the information given in the problem:

1. A UV laser is used to liberate electrons from the negative plate in a parallel plate capacitor system.
2. The electrons drift towards the positive plate under the influence of the electric field.
3. The time scale for the electron drift is much longer than the laser pulse length.
4. After traveling approximately 10 mm, the spatial distribution of the charge is described by a Gaussian distribution with a standard deviation of 0.5 mm.
5. 5×10^9 electrons m-2 were emitted during the laser pulse.

Now, let's start by calculating the charge density of the electron cloud. We can do this by using the number of electrons emitted and the area over which they are distributed. The area can be calculated by multiplying the plate thickness (given in the problem) by the distance traveled by the electron cloud (10 mm). This gives us an area of 0.05 m^2. Therefore, the charge density is equal to (5×10^9 electrons/m^2) x (1.6×10^-19 C/electron) = 8×10^-10 C/m^2.

Next, we can use Gauss's law in its differential form, V.E = P/ε, to calculate the electric field at any point in the cloud. Here, V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, P is the charge density, and ε is the permittivity of vacuum (8.85×10^-12 C^2/Nm^2).

We can simplify this equation by assuming that the electric field is constant throughout the cloud (which is not exactly true, but it will give us a good approximation). This assumption allows us to rewrite the equation as E = P/ε. Plugging in our values, we get E = (8×10^-10 C/m^2) / (8.85×10^-12 C^2/Nm^2) = 9.04×10^11 N/C.

Now, we can use the electric field to calculate the change in potential across the cloud. We can do this by using the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance traveled by the cloud (10 mm).

Related to Calculating Electric Field Change due to UV Laser Emission

1. How do you calculate the electric field change caused by UV laser emission?

To calculate the electric field change, you need to use the equation: E = hc/λ, where E is the electric field strength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the UV laser emission.

2. Can the electric field change be negative due to UV laser emission?

Yes, the electric field change can be negative if the wavelength of the UV laser emission is longer than the original wavelength. This means that the energy of the UV laser has decreased, resulting in a decrease in the electric field strength.

3. How does the intensity of the UV laser affect the electric field change?

The intensity of the UV laser does not directly affect the electric field change. However, a higher intensity UV laser will have a greater number of photons and therefore a higher energy, resulting in a larger electric field change.

4. Is the electric field change due to UV laser emission instantaneous?

No, the electric field change is not instantaneous. It takes time for the UV laser to emit photons and for them to interact with the surrounding electric field. The speed of this interaction depends on the intensity and wavelength of the UV laser.

5. Can other factors besides the UV laser emission affect the electric field change?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the electric field change, such as the surrounding medium and any external electric or magnetic fields present. These factors can alter the behavior of the UV laser and thus impact the electric field change.