Calculating Electric Field at (x,0,0) Due to Two Point Charges

In summary, the professor calculates the value of an electric field at a point (x,0,0) on the x-axis of a cartesian coordinate system. The electric field is due to two equal point charges: one positive, one negative. The positive charge is positioned on the x-axis at (a,0,0), where a > 0, and there's an equal negative charge at -a. The professor begins by giving the sum of the fields generated by each charge as\frac{q \mathbf{i}}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left ( \frac{1}{(x-a)^2}-\frac{1}{(x+a
Rasalhague
In lecture 2 of http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/physics/fundamentals-of-physics-ii/content/class-sessions , around the 50 minute mark, the professor calculates the value of an electric field at a point (x,0,0) on the x-axis of a cartesian coordinate system. (The video can be rather slow loading, so hopefully my description will be clear enough to stand alone.)

This electric field is due to two equal point charges: one positive, one negative. The positive charge is positioned on the x-axis at (a,0,0), where a > 0, and there's an equal negative charge at -a. He begins by giving the sum of the fields generated by each charge as

[tex]\frac{q \mathbf{i}}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left ( \frac{1}{(x-a)^2}-\frac{1}{(x+a)^2} \right ).[/tex]

Am I right in thinking that this formula is only valid when x > a? In that case, the first term will be positive and the second negative, as I think they should be. But if x < -a, then, E-(x,0,0), the component of the electric field vector at (x,0,0) which is due only to the negative charge should point in the positive x direction (attracting a positive test charge), while E+(x,0,0), the component due only to the positive charge will point in the negative x direction (repelling a positive test charge), shouldn't it? And when (x,0,0) is between the two charges, I think, both components will point in the negative x direction.

I began like this, without making any assumptions as to where on the x-axis (x,0,0) is:

[tex]\frac{q \mathbf{i}}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left ( \frac{x-a}{\left | x-a \right |^3}-\frac{x+a}{\left | x+a \right |^3} \right ).[/tex]

His formula simplifies to

[tex]\frac{qax\mathbf{i}}{\pi\epsilon_0(x^2-a^2)^2}.[/tex]

I guess if a similar simplification is possible in the more general case, the three special cases of where (x,0,0) can be in relation to (a,0,0) and (-a,0,0) need to be checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rasalhague said:
Am I right in thinking that this formula is only valid when x > a?

Yes. In practice, this is the case that we are generally interested in. Usually we end up considering situations in which a is very small, we look at the field only in the region surrounding the dipole (and "outside" of it) and we speak only of the dipole moment p = 2qa.

Thanks, jtbell!

Related to Calculating Electric Field at (x,0,0) Due to Two Point Charges

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a point due to two point charges?

To calculate the electric field at a point (x,0,0) due to two point charges, we use the formula E = k*q/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge. We then calculate the electric field from each point charge and add them together to get the total electric field at the point.

2. What is the direction of the electric field at (x,0,0) due to two point charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point due to two point charges is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields from each charge. The direction will depend on the signs of the charges and the distance between the point and the charges. If the two charges have the same sign, the electric field will point away from both charges. If the two charges have opposite signs, the electric field will point towards the positive charge and away from the negative charge.

3. How does the distance between the charges affect the electric field at (x,0,0)?

The distance between the two charges will directly affect the magnitude of the electric field at a point (x,0,0). As the distance increases, the electric field will decrease according to an inverse square relationship. This means that the electric field will decrease four times if the distance doubles.

4. Can the electric field at (x,0,0) ever be zero due to two point charges?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field at a point (x,0,0) to be zero due to two point charges. This will occur when the magnitude of the electric field from one point charge is equal to the magnitude of the electric field from the other point charge, but they have opposite directions. This will result in the electric field vectors cancelling each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero at the point.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating electric field at a point due to two point charges?

There are many real-world applications of calculating electric field at a point due to two point charges. One example is in electrical engineering, where the electric field at a point is used to design and analyze electronic circuits. Another example is in the medical field, where the electric field at a point is used in techniques such as electrocardiography (ECG) to measure the electrical activity of the heart. Additionally, understanding the electric field at a point due to two point charges is important in fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy.