Calculating Elastic Energy: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, elastic energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is different from other types of energy because it is a form of potential energy and is associated with the elastic properties of a material. Examples of objects that have elastic energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a stretched bow and arrow. Elastic energy has many practical applications in everyday life, including in sports equipment, engineering and construction, and the functioning of our bodies.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

56.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the equation introduced in the class, E=σε/2
ε=αΔT =2*10-5*200 = 4*10-3
and by σ=Yε, I get σ=110*109*4*10-3 = 4.4*109
so E=(4*10-3) * (4.4*109 ) /2 = 880000J
Why am I wrong?
The correct answer is 35.2 J

Attachments

• 56.png
    56.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
Better check your units. Also, you determined the stored energy per unit volume.

Likes Clara Chung
Chestermiller said:
Better check your units. Also, you determined the stored energy per unit volume.
Thanks!

Related to Calculating Elastic Energy: Where Did I Go Wrong?

What is elastic energy?

Elastic energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a result of the interactions between the molecules or atoms within the object.

How is elastic energy different from other types of energy?

Elastic energy is different from other types of energy because it is a form of potential energy, meaning it is stored and has the potential to do work in the future. Other types of energy, such as kinetic energy, are associated with the motion of an object.

What are some examples of objects that have elastic energy?

Examples of objects that have elastic energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a stretched bow and arrow. These objects have the potential to return to their original shape and release the stored elastic energy when the force acting on them is removed.

How is elastic energy related to elasticity?

Elastic energy is related to elasticity because it is a result of the elastic properties of a material. Elasticity is the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed, and this property allows for the storage of elastic energy.

How is elastic energy applied in everyday life?

Elastic energy has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of trampolines, bungee cords, and other sports equipment. It is also utilized in engineering and construction, such as in the design of bridges and buildings to withstand external forces. Elastic energy is also important in the functioning of our bodies, as it is involved in muscle movement and the elasticity of our blood vessels.