Calculating elastic constants Cijkl

In summary, the elastic constants for nickel (FCC lattice) soundwaves are Cijkl. The shear modulus and young's modulus are related to each other, and the longitudinal speed is related to the young's modulus and the poisson's ratio.
tuomas22

Homework Statement

Longnitudal and transverse soundwaves in nickel (FCC lattice) moves at velocities 5300m/s 3800m/s. Determine the elastic constants Cijkl

Homework Equations

[tex]v =\sqrt{C_{ij}/\rho}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I can calculate Cij with that equation...but I don't understand how I get the indices ij, or ijkl...And I don't understand how am I supposed to use the longnitudal AND transverse wave speeds...

Physics news on Phys.org
been a while, but as I remember it, the elastic stiffness tensor relates stress to strain y
[tex] \sigma_{ij} = \textbf{C}_{ijkl} \epsilon_{kl} [/tex]

in the anisotropic case, the are upto 21 independentcomponest [tex] \textbf{C}_{ijkl} [/tex]to see:
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/mat_mechanics/hooke.cfm

when the material is isotropic, things simplify a fair bit & the stiffness tensor can be represented uniquley by 2 parameters (often E and [itex] \nu [/itex], the young's modulus & poisson's ratio)
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/mat_mechanics/hooke_isotropic.cfm

these should be reasonably easily relatable to the longitudinal & transverse wave speeds...

Thanks for answer. But I still didnt get it. There was some strange matrices in those links, and we haven't talked about those in the class, so I don't think that's what I'm supposed to use.

I also didnt understand the indices. For example if I have i=2 and j=1 for C21, what does it exactly mean?

one last cry for help. then i quit :) exam tomorrow :(

do you have any more info?

is the material isotropic & how many dimensions are you working in?

Last edited:
nope that's all I have :(
but this is an introductory course, so maybe I am supposed to make some assumptions? I don't know...

lets assume it's isotropic

Last edited:
ok i believe Cij is the component of the stiffness matrix as outlined above, there's no reall easy way to go through it... Cij is the ith row, jth component of thw stiffness matrix given in
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/mat_mechanics/hooke_isotropic.cfm
(a condensed matrix form of the full cijkl tensor)

i'm not too sure what C12 means, but in the matrix it relates the stress in the x dir'n to a normal strain in the y dir'n... so 1-3 represent normal stress/strain, 4-6 shear stress/strain..

then i think C11, C22, C33 will represent the longitudinal speeds (all same in isotropic)
while C44, C55, C66 will represnet the shear wave speeds (all same in isotropic)

from a bit of googling on elastic isotropic materials, to remember this stuff...

first shear velocity is relateable to the shear mdoulus
[tex] v_s = \sqrt{\frac{G}{\rho}}[/tex]
The shear modulus is then relateable to young's modulus & poissons ratio by
[tex] G = \frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}}[/tex]

now longitudinal velocity is relateable to young's modulus & poissons ratio by
[tex] v_s = \sqrt{\frac{E(1-\nu)}{\rho(1-2\nu)(1+\nu)}}[/tex]

so you shold be able to solve for E & nu, knowing vp, vs & denisty & assuming linear elastic isotropic

this would then allow you to fill out the stiffness matrix as given... ie the Cij
note i think vp = sqrt(C11/rho) and vs = sqrt(C44/rho) which gives some cofidence that we're on the right track

anyway hope this of some help, if its introductory we may be deving into it a bit much...

Last edited:
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Ultrasonics/Physics/elasticsolids.htm

this is the only website i found that references the elastic constants as you have...

Related to Calculating elastic constants Cijkl

1. What are elastic constants Cijkl and why are they important in science?

Elastic constants Cijkl refer to a set of material parameters that describe the elastic behavior of a material. These constants are important in science because they provide information about how a material will respond to applied forces and stresses, and are crucial in the design and analysis of structures.

2. How are elastic constants Cijkl calculated?

Elastic constants Cijkl are typically calculated through experiments, such as tensile tests or compression tests, where the applied forces and resulting strains are measured. These values are then used in mathematical equations to determine the elastic constants.

3. What factors influence the values of elastic constants Cijkl?

The values of elastic constants Cijkl are influenced by various factors, including the type of material, its microstructure, and temperature. They can also vary depending on the direction of the applied force or stress.

4. What is the significance of the different elastic constants Cijkl?

The different elastic constants Cijkl represent different aspects of a material's elastic behavior. For example, Young's modulus (E) describes a material's stiffness, while shear modulus (G) describes its resistance to shear forces. These constants are important in determining how a material will deform under different types of stress.

5. Can elastic constants Cijkl change over time?

Yes, elastic constants Cijkl can change over time due to factors such as material fatigue, creep, and environmental effects. This is why it is important to regularly test and monitor the elastic behavior of materials in real-world applications.