Calculating Effective Capacitance of a 3-Plate System with Varying Distances

In summary, the problem involves finding the effective capacitance of a system consisting of three conducting plates, with two fixed outer plates and a movable center plate. The distances between the plates are given as d1 = 0.35 mm and d2 = 0.65 mm, and the area of each plate is A = 3.5 cm2. Using the equation C = E0*A/d, where E0 is the permittivity of free space and d is the distance between the plates, it can be determined that the net capacitance of the system is 3.0984E-12 F-1. However, the presentation of the calculations should be improved by including units and using the correct mathematical expression for adding
Angie K.

Homework Statement

Three conducting plates, each of area A = 3.5 cm2, are connected in such a way that the center plate can be moved between the two fixed outer plates. If the distances between the outer plates and the center plate are d1 = 0.35 mm and d2 = 0.65 mm, find the effective capacitance C of the system.

Homework Equations

C = E0*A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried adding the Capacitance of each plate (using equation above) with d1 and then d2 and finally d3 (total distance). I added that together but can't seem to get the right answer. I think it confuses me that there are 3 parallel plates because all the examples we talked about in class have been with 2 parallel plates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Angie K., Welcome to Physics Forums!

Angie K. said:

Homework Statement

Three conducting plates, each of area A = 3.5 cm2, are connected in such a way that the center plate can be moved between the two fixed outer plates. If the distances between the outer plates and the center plate are d1 = 0.35 mm and d2 = 0.65 mm, find the effective capacitance C of the system.

Homework Equations

C = E0*A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried adding the Capacitance of each plate (using equation above) with d1 and then d2 and finally d3 (total distance). I added that together but can't seem to get the right answer. I think it confuses me that there are 3 parallel plates because all the examples we talked about in class have been with 2 parallel plates.

The plate in the middle provides one plate for two separate capacitors. Effectively then, you have two capacitors in series.

So I would add the 2 plates on the sides (in series) to the plate in the middle which is in parallel to the outer two plates?

Angie K. said:
So I would add the 2 plates on the sides (in series) to the plate in the middle which is in parallel to the outer two plates?
It takes two plates to make a parallel plate capacitor. Each outside plate forms a capacitor with the plate in the center:

Fig1.gif

So my equation to solve for the effective capacitance of the system should look like this:

C = E0*A/d1 + E0*A/d2
where E0 is (8.85*10^-12)
d1 is the given distance of .35 mm (convert to meters)
d2 is the second given distance of .65 mm (convert to meters)

Am I understanding this correctly?

Angie K. said:
So my equation to solve for the effective capacitance of the system should look like this:

C = E0*A/d1 + E0*A/d2
where E0 is (8.85*10^-12)
d1 is the given distance of .35 mm (convert to meters)
d2 is the second given distance of .65 mm (convert to meters)

Am I understanding this correctly?
Not quite. How do capacitors in series "add"?

To add the in series, I would add the reciprocal of the Capacitors 1/Ctotal= 1/C1+1/C2+1/C3... etc

Yup.

I really appreciate your help, I was just not understanding the problem correctly. Thank you for your clarifications.

Angie K. said:
I really appreciate your help, I was just not understanding the problem correctly. Thank you for your clarifications.
You're welcome :smile:

I am still not getting the right answer. Since the plates are in series, here is what I did:

(1/C=1/E0*A/d1) + (1/C=1/E0*A/d2)

? Where did I go wrong in my calculations

Angie K. said:
I am still not getting the right answer. Since the plates are in series, here is what I did:

(1/C=1/E0*A/d1) + (1/C=1/E0*A/d2)

? Where did I go wrong in my calculations
Can you show some details of your calculations? What values are you getting for the individual capacitances? How about the net value?

1/C1 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.035m)^2/(.00035m) = 3.2284*10^10
1/C2 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.035m)^2/(.00065m) = 5.9956*10^10
1/C1+1/C2 = 9.2240*10^9

You need to check your plate area value. The conversion to square meters doesn't have the right order of magnitude.

A = 3.5 cm^2 is .00035m^2 which is 1.225*10^-7 right?

Angie K. said:
A = 3.5 cm^2 is .00035m^2 which is 1.225*10^-7 right?

.00035m^2 is correct. But I don't understand where the 1.225*10^-7 comes from or what it's supposed to represent o_O

Well, when I put .00035m^2 (.00035^2) in my calculator, it came out as 1.225*10^-7

Angie K. said:
Well, when I put .00035m^2 (.00035^2) in my calculator, it came out as 1.225*10^-7
Ah. .00035m^2 is already the area in square meters (The units m^2 tell you so). You don't want to square it again!

So then:

1/C1 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.00035m)/(.00035m) = 1.129E11
1/C2 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.00035m)/(.00065m) = 2.0984E11

1/C1+1/C2 = 3.0984E-12

Angie K. said:
So then:

1/C1 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.00035m)/(.00035m) = 1.129E11
1/C2 = 1/(8.85*10^-12)*(.00035m)/(.00065m) = 2.0984E11
Okay, those numeric values look good.
1/C1+1/C2 = 3.0984E-12

While the numerical value is correct for the net capacitance, the equation that you wrote is not correct! 1/C1 + 1/C2, given the above values, is 3.23E11 F-1. So you've not shown that you took the reciprocal. When you show mathematical expressions, be sure that what you present is precise.

Also, be sure to include units on numerical results. If you don't, a marker will deduct points or simply declare the answer to be incorrect.

So summarizing, you've arrived at a correct numerical value but need to clean up the presentation and include units on your result.

Related to Calculating Effective Capacitance of a 3-Plate System with Varying Distances

What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is an important concept in electrical engineering and physics as it describes the relationship between voltage and charge in a system. It is also a key factor in determining the behavior of electronic circuits.

What is a 3-plate system and how does it affect capacitance?

A 3-plate system consists of three parallel plates separated by insulating material. This setup creates a capacitor, where the capacitance is affected by the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa.

How do you calculate effective capacitance in a 3-plate system?

The effective capacitance of a 3-plate system can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the insulating material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This formula assumes that the plates are of equal size and the distance between each plate is the same.

What happens to effective capacitance when the distance between plates is varied?

When the distance between plates is varied, the effective capacitance also changes. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This is because the closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field between them, resulting in a higher capacitance.

How can the effective capacitance of a 3-plate system be used in practical applications?

The effective capacitance of a 3-plate system can be used in various practical applications, such as in electronic devices and circuits. It is also essential in energy storage systems, like capacitors, that are used to store electrical energy and provide a quick burst of power when needed.