Calculating Drag Force due to air on a Pedestal Fan blade

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a pedestal fan powered by a flywheel. The flywheel is brought to an initial angular velocity by an electric motor, and in the event of a power outage, the fan blades are coupled to the flywheel and continue to rotate for 10 minutes. The discussion then shifts to calculating the torque due to drag force and simplifying the fan blades. One suggestion is to measure the electrical input to the fan, but the person is concerned that it would only give the power consumed at a constant fan speed. Another suggestion is to use the fan affinity laws to calculate the power at any rpm, as power is a cube function of rpm.
Kaycee92
I am doing a project where in a pedestal fan is alternatively powered using a flywheel. The flywheel is brought to some initial angular velocity by the electric motor. Now, if the power goes off, the fan blades would be coupled to the flywheel and it continues to rotate for the next 10 minutes.

After the power goes off, we have considered that

Energy-flywheel + Energy-fan = ∫ (Torque-drag force * ω -fan) dt

I'm having trouble calculating the torque due to the drag force and how to geometrically simplify the fan blades.

Any solution would be very much helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Why don't you just measure the electrical input to the fan?

Yes, but that would give me the power consumed at some constant fan speed( during operation).

When my flywheel is engaged, the rpm keeps on reducing and is a function of time.

If I know how the drag force is related to angular velocity and how much torque is generated, I would then be able to solve.

Any idea about drag force, Russ?

Kaycee92 said:
Yes, but that would give me the power consumed at some constant fan speed( during operation).

When my flywheel is engaged, the rpm keeps on reducing and is a function of time.
Well, once you have the peak, you can use the fan affinity laws to calculate the power at any rpm. Basically, power is a cube function of rpm.

Related to Calculating Drag Force due to air on a Pedestal Fan blade

1. How do you calculate the drag force on a pedestal fan blade?

The drag force on a pedestal fan blade can be calculated using the formula Fd = 0.5 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of air, V is the velocity of the air, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the surface area of the fan blade.

2. What factors affect the drag force on a pedestal fan blade?

The drag force on a pedestal fan blade is affected by the density of air, the velocity of the air, the shape and size of the fan blade, and the roughness of its surface.

3. How does the density of air affect the drag force on a pedestal fan blade?

The density of air affects the drag force on a pedestal fan blade as it determines how much air particles are present in a given volume. A higher density of air means there are more air particles to collide with the fan blade, resulting in a higher drag force.

4. What is the drag coefficient and how does it impact the drag force on a pedestal fan blade?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the aerodynamic efficiency of an object. It is dependent on the shape and size of the fan blade, as well as the roughness of its surface. A higher drag coefficient means a higher drag force on the fan blade.

5. How does the velocity of air affect the drag force on a pedestal fan blade?

The velocity of air has a significant impact on the drag force on a pedestal fan blade. As the velocity increases, the amount of air particles colliding with the fan blade also increases, resulting in a higher drag force. This is why fans have multiple speed settings, as the drag force will vary depending on the velocity of the air.