Calculating Distance: Solving a Velocity Problem with Runners A and B

In summary, the conversation is about a student who transferred to UMD and needs at least a C in their course to get into their major in Psychology. They are seeking help on a problem involving two runners with different velocities meeting at a flagpole. The question also includes a hint about considering the time it takes for the runners to meet.
kfink85
I just transferred to UMD and want to do well in this course because I need a C or better to get into my major (Psychology). So any help on the problem would be much appreciated. I got through most of them fine except this one. I am stumped. :-p

1. Runner A is initially 4.0 mi west of a flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 6.0 mi/h due east. Runner B is initially 3.0 mi east of the flagpole and is running wtih a constant velocity of 5.0 mi/h due west. How far are the runners from the flagpole when they meet?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer any explanations or answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: How much time does it take for the runners to meet?

I am happy to help you with this problem. To solve this velocity problem, we can use the formula distance = velocity x time. Let's break down the information given in the problem:

- Runner A is initially 4.0 mi west of the flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 6.0 mi/h due east. This means that Runner A's velocity is 6.0 mi/h towards the east direction. We can also assume that Runner A has been running for a certain amount of time, which we will call t.
- Runner B is initially 3.0 mi east of the flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 5.0 mi/h due west. This means that Runner B's velocity is 5.0 mi/h towards the west direction. Similarly, we can assume that Runner B has also been running for the same amount of time, t.

Now, we need to find the distance between the runners and the flagpole when they meet. This can be calculated by adding the distances traveled by Runner A and Runner B. Runner A has traveled a distance of 6.0 mi/h x t (since distance = velocity x time). Similarly, Runner B has traveled a distance of 5.0 mi/h x t. Therefore, the total distance between the runners and the flagpole when they meet is 6.0t + 5.0t = 11.0t.

To find the value of t, we can set up an equation using the information given in the problem. Since the runners are meeting, their total distance traveled must be equal. This can be represented as: 4.0 mi (initial distance of Runner A) + 6.0t (distance traveled by Runner A) = 3.0 mi (initial distance of Runner B) + 5.0t (distance traveled by Runner B). Solving for t, we get t = 0.5 hours.

Now, to find the distance between the runners and the flagpole when they meet, we can substitute the value of t into our earlier equation: 11.0t = 11.0 x 0.5 = 5.5 miles.

Therefore, the runners will be 5.5 miles from the flagpole when they meet. I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Good luck with your course!

Related to Calculating Distance: Solving a Velocity Problem with Runners A and B

What is the purpose of the first homework assignment?

The purpose of the first homework assignment is to introduce key concepts and skills that will be built upon throughout the course. It also serves as a way for the instructor to assess students' understanding and provide feedback.

What topics will be covered in the first homework assignment?

The first homework assignment will cover foundational concepts and theories related to the subject of the course. It may also include practice problems or activities to reinforce understanding.

How much time should I dedicate to completing the first homework assignment?

The amount of time needed to complete the first homework assignment may vary depending on the complexity of the topics and the individual's understanding. However, it is recommended to allocate enough time to thoroughly understand and complete the assignment.

What resources can I use to help me with the first homework assignment?

You can use course materials, textbooks, lecture notes, and online resources to help you with the first homework assignment. You can also reach out to the instructor or classmates for clarification or assistance.

How will the first homework assignment be graded?

The first homework assignment will be graded based on the accuracy and completeness of the answers, as well as the demonstration of understanding of the concepts covered. It is important to follow any specific instructions provided by the instructor for the assignment to receive a good grade.