Calculating Distance and Time with two boats in a river

In summary: In this problem, you are considering the component directed across the river. This means the boat's distance traveled will be the same as the river's current speed multiplied by the time it takes the boat to travel that distance. So if the current is 2.5m/s, and it takes the boat 30s to travel 72.9m, then the boat's distance traveled will be 72m*30s=1290m.
tajivie

Homework Statement

Two boats, A and B, travel with a velocity of 4.90m/s across a river with a width of 72.9m. The river flows with a velocity of 2.50m/s. Boat A travels the shortest distance and boat B travels the shortest time. If both start at the same time, how much time will they take to cross the river?

Homework Equations

There are no equations given, but I was able to use this...
Δd/v(boats)+v(river)=shortest time
Δd/v(boats)-v(river)=shortest distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Boat A: (Shortest Distance)
72.0m/(4.9m/s-2.5m/s)=72/2.4=30s

Boat B:(Shortest Time)
72m/(4.9m/s+2.5m/s)=72/7.4=9.7s≈10.0s

My Answer: Boat A can make it in 30s while Boat B can make it in 10s. I did this on a test and missed all of the points possible. Can anyone please help me find my error ansd reach a resonable answer? Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
tajivie said:

Homework Statement

Two boats, A and B, travel with a velocity of 4.90m/s across a river with a width of 72.9m. The river flows with a velocity of 2.50m/s. Boat A travels the shortest distance and boat B travels the shortest time. If both start at the same time, how much time will they take to cross the river?

Homework Equations

There are no equations given, but I was able to use this...
Δd/v(boats)+v(river)=shortest time
Δd/v(boats)-v(river)=shortest distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Boat A: (Shortest Distance)
72.0m/(4.9m/s-2.5m/s)=72/2.4=30s

Boat B:(Shortest Time)
72m/(4.9m/s+2.5m/s)=72/7.4=9.7s≈10.0s

My Answer: Boat A can make it in 30s while Boat B can make it in 10s. I did this on a test and missed all of the points possible. Can anyone please help me find my error ansd reach a resonable answer? Thank You!

Neither boat travels directly with or against the current (so simply adding or subtracting the current speed to the boat's speed is not correct). You have to consider velocity components (vectors). Also, the distance is given as 72.9m and you've used 72m.

Sorry, I meant to type 72.0 in the original problem instead of 72.9.
Can you explain to me what you mean by vector components? I know what they are, I am just confused as to how you can apply them to this problem.

tajivie said:
Sorry, I meant to type 72.0 in the original problem instead of 72.9.
Can you explain to me what you mean by vector components? I know what they are, I am just confused as to how you can apply them to this problem.
A boat's velocity with respect to the river can have two components; one directed straight across the river, and one directed up or downriver. The component directed straight across moves the boat in the direction of the far shore. Only the one directed up/downriver can influence the boat's motion up/downriver.

I would like to clarify that the equations used in this solution are not the correct equations for calculating distance and time in this scenario. The correct equations to use are:

Distance = Velocity x Time

Time = Distance / Velocity

Using these equations, we can calculate the time it takes for each boat to cross the river:

Boat A: Distance = 72.9m, Velocity = 4.9m/s
Time = 72.9m / 4.9m/s = 14.9s

Boat B: Distance = 72.9m, Velocity = 7.4m/s (4.9m/s + 2.5m/s)
Time = 72.9m / 7.4m/s = 9.8s

Therefore, Boat A will take 14.9 seconds to cross the river while Boat B will take 9.8 seconds. The error in the previous solution was using the incorrect equations, resulting in incorrect answers. As a scientist, it is important to always use the correct equations and double check calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to Calculating Distance and Time with two boats in a river

1. How do you calculate the distance between two boats in a river?

To calculate the distance between two boats in a river, you first need to determine the speed of each boat and the angle at which they are traveling. Then, you can use the formula: distance = speed x time. Make sure to use the same units for both speed and time (e.g. miles per hour and hours).

2. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for two boats to meet in a river?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for two boats to meet in a river is: time = distance / (speed1 + speed2), where speed1 and speed2 are the speeds of each boat. Again, make sure to use consistent units for distance and speed.

3. Can the distance between two boats in a river change over time?

Yes, the distance between two boats in a river can change over time. This is because the boats may be traveling at different speeds and/or changing direction. Additionally, factors such as wind and currents can affect the distance between the boats.

4. How do you factor in the current of a river when calculating distance and time between two boats?

To factor in the current of a river, you need to know the speed and direction of the current. Then, you can add or subtract this value from the speed of the boat traveling with the current, or add it to the speed of the boat traveling against the current. This will give you a more accurate calculation of the distance and time between the two boats.

5. Are there any other variables that need to be considered when calculating distance and time between two boats in a river?

In addition to boat speed and current, other variables that may need to be considered include wind speed and direction, the width of the river, and any obstacles or curves in the river that may affect the path of the boats. It is important to gather as much information as possible about the conditions of the river in order to make an accurate calculation.