Calculating Distance and Time for Meeting of Bicycle and Car

In summary, the question involves calculating when and how far the front of a car meets the rear of a bicycle, given their velocities and accelerations. The correct method is to set the equations for their respective distances equal to each other, and solving for time. The answer is 16.5 seconds, and the difference in using (t-4) or (t+4) depends on which motion is assigned as 't'.
bradyj7
Hello,

Would somebody be able to explain to me how to calculate the answer to this question? I'm studying for an exam and cannot figure it out.

Question:

The rear of a bicycle passes a point O on a road with a velocity 4 ms-1 and an acceleration of 2 ms-2. Four seconds later the front of a car passes O with a velocity of 2 ms-1 and acceleration of 4 ms-2. When and how far from O does the front of the car meet the rear of the bicycle?

Many thanks

John

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to show us some of your thoughts and effort before we can help.

Hello,

This is what I think, but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

s1 = 4t + 0.5(2)t^2 distance bike goes
s2 = 2(t-4) + 0.5(4)(t-4)^2 distance car goes

then set s1 = s2 and solve

the answer is 16.5 seconds but I can't get this. maybe it is my algebra!

Thank you

bradyj7 said:
Hello,

This is what I think, but I can't seem to get the correct answer.

s1 = 4t + 0.5(2)t^2 distance bike goes
s2 = 2(t-4) + 0.5(4)(t-4)^2 distance car goes

then set s1 = s2 and solve

the answer is 16.5 seconds but I can't get this. maybe it is my algebra!

Thank you
That's the correct method.

Show how you solve for t.

I solved it and got the correct answer.

Originally I was using (t+4)

Could you explain to me why it is (t-4) and not (t+4)? What is reasoning behind it?

Thank you

It depends on for which motion do you take the time to be ' t '. See how does it make a difference?

Related to Calculating Distance and Time for Meeting of Bicycle and Car

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time. It is also a vector quantity, and can be caused by changes in speed, direction, or both.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes, so they are closely related. If an object's velocity is increasing, it is accelerating in the same direction. If an object's velocity is decreasing, it is accelerating in the opposite direction. If an object's velocity remains constant, there is no acceleration.