Calculating Distance and Average Speed for a Car Trip - Online Class Help"

• Thread starter skippinrocks
  • Start date
In summary: Average speed = 90km/1.7hr = 52.94 km/hIn summary, the question posed is about a person's car trip between two cities with various speeds and a break included. The first part of the question asks for the average speed, which is calculated to be 86.9km/h. The second part asks for the distance between the cities, which is found to be 90km. The break is included in the total time for the trip, making the average speed 52.94 km/h. The OP was initially unsure about how to set up part B, but with the help of other commenters, they were able to solve the problem and understand the importance of including the break
skippinrocks
Hello everyone,
I'm taking an online class and my teacher is less then helpful :(
I'm having trouble with one of the questions and the textbook doesn't have any similar examples. I've solved part A, but I'm unsure how to set up part B. Any assistance would be greatly appeciated! Thank you

So here's the question:
A person makes a trip by car between 2 cities. A record of the trip follows: 30.0 min at 80km/h, 12 minutes as 100km/h, 45 min at 40km/h and 15 min for lunch break and gas.

a. determine the average speed for the trip.
b. determine the distance between the cities

So for part a, i calculated that the average speed for the trip is 86.9km/h, and I'm happy with that answer.
but for part b, I'm not sure how to set it up.

total time for the trip is 102 minutes (or 1.7 hours) but that includes the break.. Is that information about the break even useful or is it in there to mix me up?

Without the break, the total time of the trip is 87 minutes (or 1.45 hr) but I don't know how to organize it so that I can figure out how far the cities are apart?

I think I have to include my answer from part A, with the average speed being 86.9km/h.. ANy ideas? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A record of the trip follows: 30.0 min at 80km/h, 12 minutes as 100km/h, 45 min at 40km/h and 15 min for lunch break and gas.

b. determine the distance between the cities

Work out the distance traveled during each period (eg 30min at 80km/h = 40km).

Add them up.

Intuitiively the average speed that doesn't feel right.

You say 90 kph average speed --- but you only exceed 90 kph by a small amount, and for only 12 minutes out of over 100 minutes. An average is supposed to be representative of your trip as whole, so does that sound right?

Making approximations like this is a useful skill to develop in mathematics. Otherise it's very hard to tell if you accidentally press a wrong button on the calculator. I haven't done the calculation but my spidersense is tingling.

Good call.

I would suggest the OP answer part b first, then use the info to answer part a.

The reason information about the break is included is because it influences average speed.

Thank you everyone..

So you think my answer A is wrong? I felt it made sense.. BUT this is my first physics class, and it is self taught...
This is what i did:
(80km/h / 30min)+ (100km/h / 12min) + (40km/h / 45 min) then i found a common demoninator and added them up, then reduced, and i got 86.9km/h

Should I include the break in there?
So solving part B first, I get a distance of 90km between the two cities
30 min @ 80km = 40km
12 min @ 100km = 20km
45 min @ 40 km = 30km
Add them up = 90kms distance

Then going back to part A, is this where I'll include the 15 minute break. If i include the break, then I get an average speed of

i think i got it.. i get average speed of 62.07. Thanks guys

skippinrocks said:
This is what i did:
(80km/h / 30min)+ (100km/h / 12min) + (40km/h / 45 min) then i found a common demoninator and added them up, then reduced, and i got 86.9km/h

Should I include the break in there?
That's not how you find averages. It's easier if you answer part B first, then find average velocity from that. Average velocity is distance traveled divided by time it took. You include the break time in the later.

i think i got it.. i get average speed of 62.07. Thanks guys
Better, but you didn't include the break.

Yes must include the break. Think of it as a period when they are traveling very slowly!

30.0 min at 80km/h, 12 minutes as 100km/h, 45 min at 40km/h and 15 min for lunch break and gas.

So

total distance = 90km
total time = 102 mins (1.7 Hours)

Related to Calculating Distance and Average Speed for a Car Trip - Online Class Help"

1. How do I calculate the distance for a car trip?

To calculate the distance for a car trip, you can use the formula: Distance = Speed x Time. First, determine the speed of your car in miles per hour (mph). Then, multiply the speed by the time traveled in hours. This will give you the distance traveled in miles.

2. What is the average speed for a car trip?

The average speed for a car trip is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if you traveled 200 miles in 4 hours, your average speed would be 50 mph.

3. Can I use different units for distance and speed?

Yes, you can use different units as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use kilometers for distance, you should also use kilometers per hour for speed.

4. How do I account for stops and breaks during a car trip?

If you take any stops or breaks during your car trip, you will need to subtract that time from the total time taken for your trip. This will give you a more accurate average speed.

5. Is there a difference between average speed and constant speed?

Yes, average speed takes into account any changes in speed during a trip, while constant speed is the speed at which the car travels the entire time. Average speed is a better measure of overall efficiency for a car trip.