Calculating Displacement of a Diver in Free Fall

In summary, the question asks for the displacement of a diver during the last 1.10 seconds of their dive, given their initial and final velocities and the acceleration due to gravity. The correct approach is to find the displacement for the entire dive and then subtract the displacement for the first 1.10 seconds from that. The result should be 5.00616m.
pookisantoki
The velocity of a diver just before hitting the water is -10.2m/s, where the minus sign indicated that her motion is directly downward. What is her displacement during the last 1.10sec of the dive?

I tried to use dthe x=1/2(Vinitial + Vfinal)t=40.8 but it's wrong, what am i doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the full question? Whats the Vinitial you used?

Initial velocity, final velocity and g is known. From these you can find displacement d1 and time t.
Then find the displacement d2 for time (t - 1.10 s).
(d1 - d2) will be the required answer.

I tried to solve this the way you wrote but I must have messed up along the way because, my answer isn't matching up
So i setted up where t=-10.2/-9.8
t=1.0408

y1=1/2(-10.2)*1.0408
y1=5.30808m

t2=1.0408-1.10
t2=-.0592

y2=1/2*-10.2*.0592
Y2=.30192

Displacement=5.30808-.30192=5.00616

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you

Related to Calculating Displacement of a Diver in Free Fall

1. What is a freely falling body?

A freely falling body is an object that is falling under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it except for air resistance.

2. What is the acceleration of a freely falling body?

The acceleration of a freely falling body is always -9.8 m/s^2, regardless of the mass of the object. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center of the Earth.

3. How does the mass of a freely falling body affect its motion?

The mass of a freely falling body does not affect its motion. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of a freely falling body, the net force is only due to gravity, so the mass does not have an effect on the acceleration.

4. Is there a maximum speed for a freely falling body?

Yes, there is a maximum speed for a freely falling body, known as terminal velocity. As an object falls, it accelerates due to gravity, but as it gains speed, the force of air resistance also increases, until it balances out the force of gravity. At this point, the object reaches a constant speed and stops accelerating.

5. How can we calculate the distance traveled by a freely falling body?

The distance traveled by a freely falling body can be calculated using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This equation assumes that the object starts from rest. If the object has an initial velocity, it can be incorporated into the equation as well.