Calculating Diffusion Speed from Gas to Vacuum: How Do You Do It?

In summary, diffusion speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It is typically measured in meters per second or centimeters per second. Diffusion speed cannot be negative as it is a measure of the rate at which particles move. Temperature can affect diffusion speed, with higher temperatures resulting in faster speeds and lower temperatures slowing it down. The size of particles can also affect diffusion speed, with smaller particles diffusing more quickly due to their smaller surface area and less resistance, while larger particles may diffuse more slowly due to their larger surface area and increased resistance.
zhaoxh
Hi everyone,
I'd like to ask you a question. How to calculate the diffusion speed from a bulk of gas with density of n to vacuum? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with Fick's Law.

What is diffusion speed?

Dickfore said:
What is diffusion speed?

actually, I want to consider the follow case. Consider that a bullet crosses a bulk of gas (desity=n), how to calculate the density evolution (with time) within the channel after the bullet goes through the gas.

Hi there,

Calculating diffusion speed from a bulk of gas to vacuum involves several factors, including the gas density, temperature, and pressure. The diffusion speed can be calculated using the Graham's law of diffusion, which states that the diffusion rate is inversely proportional to the square root of the gas density.

To calculate the diffusion speed, you will need to know the molecular weight of the gas and the temperature and pressure at which the diffusion is occurring. You can then use the following formula:

Diffusion speed = √(8RT/πM)

Where:
R = Gas constant (8.314 J/mol K)
T = Temperature (in Kelvin)
M = Molecular weight of the gas (in kg/mol)

Once you have calculated the diffusion speed, you can compare it to the speed of other gases at the same temperature and pressure to determine the relative diffusion rates.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Calculating Diffusion Speed from Gas to Vacuum: How Do You Do It?

1. How is diffusion speed calculated?

Diffusion speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for diffusion speed is: speed = distance/time.

2. What units are used to measure diffusion speed?

Diffusion speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

3. Can diffusion speed be negative?

No, diffusion speed cannot be negative as it is a measure of the rate at which particles move in a particular direction.

4. How does temperature affect diffusion speed?

Higher temperatures generally result in faster diffusion speeds as the particles have more kinetic energy and move more quickly. Similarly, lower temperatures can slow down diffusion speed.

5. Can the size of particles affect diffusion speed?

Yes, the size of particles can affect diffusion speed. Smaller particles can diffuse more quickly as they have a smaller surface area and therefore encounter less resistance while moving. On the other hand, larger particles may diffuse more slowly due to their larger surface area and increased resistance.