Calculating Density Using Archimedes Principle

In summary, a block of wood with a length of 40 cm and a cross-sectional area of 15 cm2 floats in water with 3/8 of its length above water. The density of the wood can be determined by comparing its weight to the upward thrust, which is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the wood. After some calculations, it is determined that the density of the wood is 0.625 g/cm^3, which is 5/8 the density of water.
physics kiddy
I have found a question that has got to my nerves :

A block of wood of length 40 cm and area of cross-section 15 cm2 floats in water with 3/8 of it's length above water. What is the density of wood ? (Density of water - 1g/cm3).

My attempt to get the solution :

Length of wood above water = 3/8 * 40 = 15cm
Length of wood below water = (40-15)cm = 25cm

Now, Upthrust = 375cm3*1*10 = 3750 N

Rest, I don't know !

Please help. It's urgent because I am going to face some deadly questions the day after tomorrow. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an object floats and is motionless, its weight exactly equals the upward thrust. The upward thrust is the weight of water displaced.

If you know the weight and volume, you can determine the density.

You have an error with your units. The upward thrust is not 3750 Newtons.

Then what is it ?

You are multiplying cm^3 by grams/cm^3. You do not get Newtons. You get grams. A gram is not a unit of force. Newtons, however, are.

I don't know the purpose of the 10.

Last edited:
kg/m^3 times m^3 times gravitational acceleration(m/sec^2) = Newtons

g=9.8 m/sec^2

alright , first u need to realize that the upthrust force = the wieght of the body...

ie a floating object displaces it's own wieght of the fluid in which it is floating.

so, F1 = upthrust = 0.0375 * 1000 * 10 = 375
and F2 = weight of block = P*V*g =p*0.06*10

so solving this ... my answer comes out to be 0.625g/cm^-3

The upward force is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the body, not the displaced body.

physicsvalk said:
The upward force is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the body, not the displaced body.

yes sir, u are right , but in this case aas the object is floating thus there has to be no net force (or otherwise it wud produce an acceleration)

so, keeping Newton's 2 nd law in mind, we can come to the conclusion that :

upthrust = weight of the water displaced by the block of wood
and as there is no acceleration hence
upthrust = actuall weight of the block

Please correct me if i am wrong :)

I was correcting your language, not the physics. Yes there is an upward force, but it is not a net force. I never said the upward force was the net force.

.625 gm/cm^3 is the correct result. It's density is 5/8 that of water because 3/8 of its volume remains above the surface of the water.

Last edited:
I had a typo in my previous message. Originally I had typed .675 but meant to type .625 gm/cm^3. It has been corrected.

Oh my god ! I have found the answer. Thanks everybody, thanks.

Related to Calculating Density Using Archimedes Principle

1. What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that when an object is placed in a fluid, it experiences an upward buoyant force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

2. Who is Archimedes?

Archimedes was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer who lived in the 3rd century BCE. He is best known for his contributions to mathematics and for discovering the principle that now bears his name.

3. How does Archimedes' Principle work?

Archimedes' Principle works by comparing the weight of an object to the weight of the fluid it displaces. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will displace more fluid than its own weight, resulting in a net upward force. If the object is more dense than the fluid, it will displace less fluid than its own weight, resulting in a net downward force.

4. What is an example of Archimedes' Principle in action?

An example of Archimedes' Principle in action is when a ship floats in water. The weight of the ship is evenly distributed over a large area, causing it to displace a large amount of water. The weight of the water displaced is equal to the weight of the ship, resulting in a net upward force that keeps the ship afloat.

5. How is Archimedes' Principle used in real life?

Archimedes' Principle is used in many real-life applications, such as designing ships and submarines, determining the purity of gold and other precious metals, and understanding the behavior of hot air balloons and blimps. It is also used in the development of various water-based sports and activities, such as swimming and diving.