Calculating Density of Hydrogen Gas at 20°C & 1655psi

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the density of hydrogen gas at a given temperature and pressure. The equation used is d= P(Mm)/RT, where d represents density, P represents pressure, Mm represents molar mass, R represents the gas constant, and T represents temperature in Kelvin. After converting the given pressure and temperature values, the final calculated density is 4.64 g/L. However, upon further discussion, it is discovered that the conversion of psi to atm was incorrect, leading to an incorrect calculation. The correct density value is 9.43g/L.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

What is the density (g/L) of hydrogen gas at 20*c & pressure of 1655psi?

Homework Equations

d= P(Mm)/RT

Mm= molar mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by converting 1655 psi to 55.31 ATM. I then converted my temperature to 293 kelvins. When I plug these figures into the above equation:d= 55.31ATM(2.016g)/(.08206)(293) and I arrive at an answer of 4.64 g/L. My books gives a value of 9.43g/L which appears to be about twice as much, but I cannot figure out where I made the wrong turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your psi to atm conversion.

Ah HA! I used the conversion factor for in Hg, not psi. Thanks a bunch, sorry for the frivolous thread.

Joe

Related to Calculating Density of Hydrogen Gas at 20°C & 1655psi

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of hydrogen gas?

The formula for calculating the density of hydrogen gas is: density = pressure / (gas constant * temperature).

2. How do you convert pressure from psi to Pa?

To convert pressure from psi to Pa, you can use the conversion factor 6894.76. Multiply the pressure in psi by 6894.76 to get the pressure in Pa.

3. What is the gas constant for hydrogen gas?

The gas constant for hydrogen gas is 8.314 J/mol*K.

4. Can you calculate the density of hydrogen gas at a different temperature and pressure?

Yes, you can calculate the density of hydrogen gas at any temperature and pressure using the formula: density = pressure / (gas constant * temperature). Just make sure to use the appropriate units for pressure and temperature.

5. How does the density of hydrogen gas change with increasing pressure and decreasing temperature?

As pressure increases and temperature decreases, the density of hydrogen gas also increases. This is because the molecules of hydrogen gas are closer together and take up less volume, resulting in a higher density.