Calculating Decimals for Expressions

In summary, the question is asking for the value of the expression p=a^-2, where a=27.3 +- 0.05 metres. The answer to part a) is 0.001342, rounded to three significant digits. To calculate the maximum error, the formula -2*a^(-3) * 0.05 is used, resulting in an error of 4.91 * 10^(-6). This error is within the range of 0.000005, which is determined using the "rule of thumb" for multiplying errors. The problem did not specify significant digits, but the answer should be rounded to three significant digits.
dagg3r
can somebody tell me how many decimals places for this question and tell me if i am doing this right

1. Calculate a value for the expression

p=a^-2

a=27.3 +- 0.05 metres ( the plus and minus symbol is on top of each other)

b) calculate the maximum error in your answer

this is what i did

for a) p=27.3^-2 = 0.001342 is that how many decimals i put down how many do i put down

b) to calculate the maximum error i differintiated the questio so i got -2*a^(-3) therefore
-2(27.3)^(-3) * 0.05 = 4.91 * 10^(-6)
is that how i put the form in how many decimal places?

do i state the maximum error is 4.91*10^(-6)?

ok if somebody can answe those questions thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
your datat is given to three significant digits
so your answer should be given to three significant digits (i.e. you should get 1.34 x 10^-3)
same applies for you error

Did you consider just computing it directly? That is, since a=27.3 +- 0.05 metres, the largest a can be is 27.35 metres so a-2= 0.001337, the smallest possible value for a-2. The smallest a can be is 27.25 so that a2= 0.001347, the largest possible value for a-2. Since 27.3-2= .001342, that would be a simple "guess" for (a) which said only "calculate a value". 0.001347- 0.001342= 0.000005 while 0.001342-0.001337= 0.000005. Since those are the same the maximum error for that "guess" is 0.000005.

The problem did not say anything about "significant digits".

By the way, there is a "rule of thumb" that says "If measurements are added, add the errors. If measurements are multiplied, add the relative errors."

Since the "measurement" is 27.3 and the error is 0.05, the relative error is 0.05/27.3= 0.001832. squaring (even -2 power) is multiplying the number by itself so "adding relative errors" gives a relative error for the result of 0.003663... That, times (27.3)-2= 0.001342 gives 0.000005 as before.

Related to Calculating Decimals for Expressions

What is the purpose of calculating decimals for expressions?

The purpose of calculating decimals for expressions is to accurately represent and solve mathematical equations that involve fractions or decimals. This allows for more precise calculations and helps to avoid rounding errors.

What are the basic steps for calculating decimals in an expression?

The basic steps for calculating decimals in an expression include converting all fractions to decimals, simplifying the expression, and then performing the necessary operations according to the order of operations.

How do you convert fractions to decimals?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number) using long division or a calculator. The resulting decimal will have a finite number of digits or a repeating pattern.

Why is it important to simplify an expression before calculating decimals?

Simplifying an expression helps to make the calculation process easier and more accurate. It also helps to avoid mistakes and reduces the likelihood of rounding errors. Simplifying can also help to identify any common factors or patterns that can be used to further simplify the expression.

What is the order of operations when calculating decimals for expressions?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means that parentheses should be evaluated first, followed by any exponents, then multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction.