Calculating Deceleration and Friction of Blocks A & B

In summary: From your free body diagram, it looks like block B is exerting a force on block A in the opposite direction of block A's original velocity. This means the net force on block A is zero.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Block B has an initial velocity of 2.0 m/s to the right and is sliding across the surface of block A. Block A is resting on ideal, frictionless ice. Given the following, information:

a) The rate of "deceleration" of block B
b) The rate of acceleration of block A
c) The final velocity of both blocks. (Block B will come to "rest" on block A when the velocities of both blocks are equal. once the velocities of the two blocks are equal, what will be the frictional force they exert on each other?)

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a:

ma=.3(9.8)(1)

...what do i do for the this problem?
i'm so sorry, but i didn't know where to start at all :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Runningirl,
runningirl said:
for part a:

ma=.3(9.8)(1)

...what do i do for the this problem?
i'm so sorry, but i didn't know where to start at all :(
Have you left out anything in the problem statement such as the mass of blocks A and B, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between blocks A and B? Or is your answer supposed to be in terms of mA, mB and μ?

Whatever the case, for part a) you're supposed to find the magnitude of block B's acceleration. Don't worry about the term "deceleration." It really means the same thing as acceleration, except it has the implication that the acceleration is in the opposite direction as the velocity. So just think of it as the magnitude of block B's acceleration for this problem.

Here is a hint on part b): Newton's third law of motion. Then apply the second law. :wink:

collinsmark said:
Hello Runningirl,

Have you left out anything in the problem statement such as the mass of blocks A and B, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between blocks A and B? Or is your answer supposed to be in terms of mA, mB and μ?

Whatever the case, for part a) you're supposed to find the magnitude of block B's acceleration. Don't worry about the term "deceleration." It really means the same thing as acceleration, except it has the implication that the acceleration is in the opposite direction as the velocity. So just think of it as the magnitude of block B's acceleration for this problem.

Here is a hint on part b): Newton's third law of motion. Then apply the second law. :wink:

oh, i forgot to add the information:

mass of block a: 3.00 kg and mass of block b: 1.00 kg
the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surfaces of A and B is 0.30
Friction doesn't exist between surfaces of A and the ice.

Okay, from your original post, you have "ma = 0.3(9.8)(1)". You know what block B's mass is, so solve for a. :wink:

See my previous post for hints on part b).

collinsmark said:
Okay, from your original post, you have "ma = 0.3(9.8)(1)". You know what block B's mass is, so solve for a. :wink:

See my previous post for hints on part b).

for part b, do i just do 3*9.8=ma?
but that would say my acceleration is 9.8...

what do you mean by applying Newton's third law?

Always start by drawing a FBD or Free Body Diagram

as donutz610 said above me drawing a FBD will help clarify in which directions force and accelerations are acting. starting with a proper and correct FBD is the best way to get you started on the right track.

runningirl said:
for part b, do i just do 3*9.8=ma?
but that would say my acceleration is 9.8...
The acceleration isn't 9.8 m/s2

Like others have said, refer to your free body diagram. Drawing one is important.

You don't know what aA is yet, you're solving for aA. But if you happen to already know what FA and mA are, you should be able to calculate aA.
what do you mean by applying Newton's third law?
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

You have calculated from part a) that block A exerts a force on block B [Edit: in particular, a horizontal force, in the form of a frictional force]. So what force does block B exert on block A? What is the net force on block A?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Deceleration and Friction of Blocks A & B

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases over time. It is the opposite of acceleration, which is the rate at which an object's velocity increases.

2. How do you calculate deceleration?

To calculate deceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. The formula for deceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity)/time interval.

3. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interactions between the surfaces of two objects in contact.

4. How do you calculate friction?

To calculate friction, you need to know the normal force and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. The formula for friction is friction = coefficient of friction * normal force.

5. How are deceleration and friction related?

Deceleration and friction are related because friction is one of the factors that can cause an object to decelerate. The presence of friction between two surfaces can slow down the motion of an object.