Calculating curve for a machine

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation to create an arc. They realize that they need to keep the vertical axis stationary, and that they need to use a pivot point. They find a book that can help them with the equation.
Phillip81
Mod note: Thread moved from the Precalc Homework section
1. Homework Statement

So I am designing a machine. the issue is I have to calculate like 8 things and the maths is floating in my head but I can't get there.

the requirements are that X axis squared + Y axis Squared = 75 Squared.
then project a line out another 75 from there to get the arc I am referring to. I have included 2 rough attempts at trying to find the arc but no maths involved.
now the vertical line will always be above the horizontal. but the horizontal can go + or - 75

Homework Equations

to equate the points pythagoras... to equate an arc from this... My brain is overloading

The Attempt at a Solution

I got some pics for ya
1.png
2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 493
  • 2.png
    2.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to pf.

There will be two points, one on the x and one on the y axis.
By Pythagoras, the line that joins those two points has a length of 75.
The angle of that line is not specified so consider the locus of all possible positions for that line.

If you extend that line by another 75 in the same direction, (say at the x end), the extension will trace the points P( –y, 2 * x ).

Google "ellipse mechanism"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes

You know that the extension is the same length as the hypotenuse line = 75.
The semi-major axis of the ellipse, a = 75+75 and the semi-minor axis, b = 75.
Find the general equation of an ellipse in Cartesian coordinates, in terms of x, y and a, b. wikipedia?
You can then write the equation of an ellipse from that information alone.
What would happen if the extension was a different proportion of the diagonal?

I realized this was in homework... but its not for a course or school. my bad if someone wants to move it I would appreciate it.

I have rethought the idea.now the vertical axis had to be stationary. this is because the home must always be the same in x y and z. Z is not moving so I only have x and y to move. as the pivot point is the middle point I will use the bottom point to move the item backwards and up. now I have a lot of maths to play with

Related to Calculating curve for a machine

1. How is the curve calculated for a machine?

The curve for a machine is typically calculated using mathematical equations and data analysis. This involves determining the machine's capabilities, limitations, and efficiency, and then using this information to create a curve that represents its performance.

2. What factors are considered when calculating the curve for a machine?

Several factors are taken into consideration when calculating the curve for a machine, including the machine's design, operating conditions, and input/output parameters. Other factors such as environmental factors, maintenance, and wear and tear may also be considered.

3. Can the curve for a machine change over time?

Yes, the curve for a machine can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear, changes in operating conditions, and modifications to the machine's design. Regular monitoring and adjustments may be necessary to maintain the accuracy of the curve over time.

4. How is the curve used in machine performance evaluations?

The curve is an important tool in evaluating the performance of a machine. It can be used to determine the efficiency and output of the machine, identify any areas for improvement, and make comparisons with other machines or industry standards.

5. Are there any limitations to using the curve for a machine?

While the curve is a useful tool, it does have limitations. It is based on mathematical models and may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, changes in operating conditions or modifications to the machine's design may affect the accuracy of the curve over time.