Calculating Curvature of 3D Hyperboloid - Parameters & Extrinsic Curvature

In summary, to calculate the intrinsic curvature of a 3D hyperboloid, you need to first write down a parametrization to embed it into R^4, and then calculate the induced metric on the hyperboloid. From there, you can use the standard method to calculate the intrinsic curvature. Alternatively, you can take a shortcut using the Cartan formalism, but you need to remember an extra term when pulling back connections. The intrinsic curvature is not a single number, but rather a tensor with 6 independent components for 3D manifolds. It can be reduced to the Ricci scalar, which is twice the Gaussian curvature for 2D surfaces. It may be possible to calculate the Ricci scalar by using several
AWA
How can I calculate the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid? I mean, what parameters do I need to calculate the intrinsic curvature?
I guess to calculate the extrinsic curvature as seen from a 4D space I would just need a curvature radius, right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First write down a parametrization to embed the 3-hyperboloid into R^4.

Then calculate the induced metric on the 3-hyperboloid. This is simply the pullback of the standard R^4 metric with respect to the embedding map.

Once you have the induced metric, you can calculate intrinsic curvature in the standard way.Note: If you're feeling adventurous, you can take a shortcut by calculating the pullback of the R^4 connection to directly get the connection on the 3-hyperboloid. This would be the most efficient way to do it if you are using the Cartan formalism. But you have to remember that when you pull back connections, there is an extra term (similar to transforming a connection under coordinate transformations).

Ben Niehoff said:
First write down a parametrization to embed the 3-hyperboloid into R^4.

Then calculate the induced metric on the 3-hyperboloid. This is simply the pullback of the standard R^4 metric with respect to the embedding map.

Once you have the induced metric, you can calculate intrinsic curvature in the standard way.

Note: If you're feeling adventurous, you can take a shortcut by calculating the pullback of the R^4 connection to directly get the connection on the 3-hyperboloid. This would be the most efficient way to do it if you are using the Cartan formalism. But you have to remember that when you pull back connections, there is an extra term (similar to transforming a connection under coordinate transformations).

Thanks a lot for your response.
I deduce from the above that I asked something whose answer I should have supposed would be way out of my league since I didn't warn that I don't know about differential geometry.
Is there a way to explain it in plain english for someone who just have basic notions of geometry? without words like embed, connection or pullback?
I know it is not likely that it is possible but maybe somebody want to try.
Thanks.

In general the intrinsic curvature of a Riemannian manifold at a point isn't a single number, but in general a tensor (called the Riemann curvature tensor). It just happens that for 2D surfaces, this tensor only has one independent component, which is related to the Gaussian curvature. But for 3D manifolds, there are 6 independent components (although you can reduce this down to the Ricci tensor or further to the Ricci scalar, to get a single number. In the 2D case, the Ricci scalar is twice the Gaussian curvature.)

I suspect that you could calculate several radii of curvature to obtain the Ricci scalar. (I don't know any details.)

Last edited:
for your question! The curvature of a 3D hyperboloid can be calculated using various mathematical methods, depending on the specific parameters and properties of the hyperboloid. In general, the intrinsic curvature of a surface refers to the curvature that is determined solely by the shape and geometric properties of the surface itself, without reference to any external space. In contrast, the extrinsic curvature of a surface refers to the curvature as seen from an external space, such as a higher dimensional space in your example.

To calculate the intrinsic curvature of a 3D hyperboloid, you will need to know the specific equation or parametric representation of the hyperboloid. This will allow you to calculate the first and second fundamental forms, which are mathematical quantities that describe the intrinsic curvature of a surface. From these fundamental forms, you can then calculate the Gaussian and mean curvatures, which are measures of the intrinsic curvature at a specific point on the hyperboloid.

To calculate the extrinsic curvature of a 3D hyperboloid as seen from a 4D space, you will indeed need to know the curvature radius. This can be obtained from the equation or parametric representation of the hyperboloid and will allow you to calculate the extrinsic curvature in terms of the curvature radius. Other parameters, such as the first and second fundamental forms, may also be needed depending on the specific method used to calculate the extrinsic curvature.

In summary, the calculation of curvature for a 3D hyperboloid involves both intrinsic and extrinsic components and requires knowledge of the specific parameters and properties of the hyperboloid. I hope this helps clarify the process and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Calculating Curvature of 3D Hyperboloid - Parameters & Extrinsic Curvature

1. What is a 3D hyperboloid?

A 3D hyperboloid is a geometric shape that resembles a hyperbola, with two curved surfaces that intersect at a central axis. It can be described using parameters such as the distance between the two surfaces and the angle of rotation.

2. How is the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid calculated?

The curvature of a 3D hyperboloid is calculated using the extrinsic curvature formula, which takes into account the shape and size of the hyperboloid as well as its orientation in 3D space. This formula involves calculating the principal curvatures and Gaussian curvature at a specific point on the surface.

3. What are the parameters used in calculating the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid?

The parameters used in calculating the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid include the radius of the hyperboloid, the distance between the two surfaces, and the angle of rotation. These parameters can be used to define the shape and orientation of the hyperboloid and are necessary for calculating its curvature.

4. How is the extrinsic curvature of a 3D hyperboloid related to its intrinsic curvature?

The extrinsic curvature of a 3D hyperboloid is related to its intrinsic curvature through the Gauss-Codazzi equations. These equations relate the extrinsic and intrinsic curvatures of a surface and are used to calculate the extrinsic curvature of a hyperboloid using its intrinsic curvature and shape parameters.

5. What is the significance of calculating the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid?

Calculating the curvature of a 3D hyperboloid is important in understanding the geometric properties of the shape and how it behaves in 3D space. It can also be used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as in the design and analysis of structures and surfaces, as well as in computer graphics and modeling.