Calculating Current Supplied by Voltage Source (Complex algebra)

In summary, the individual is working on a problem involving complex numbers and is struggling with the algebra. They have attached the problem for reference and are seeking assistance from others. They are advised to continue working through the algebra and to use LaTeX formatting for equations. It is also suggested to use impedance in Ohm's law to find peak current and consider phase shift for power dissipation.
jackrichie
I've attached the question that I am referring to.

I believe I'm heading in the right direction with this one by stating that:

1/Rt = 1/(6+j8)Ω + 1/(9-j12)Ω

But I am confusing myself with my algebra.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 19.45.40.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 19.45.40.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
jackrichie said:
I've attached the question that I am referring to.

I believe I'm heading in the right direction with this one by stating that:

1/Rt = 1/(6+j8)Ω + 1/(9-j12)Ω

But I am confusing myself with my algebra.

Any help is appreciated

Welcome to the PF.

[STRIKE]Looks good so far[/STRIKE]. (Oops, I missed the typo that jambaugh caught below) Go ahead and keep working though the algebra, and post your work so we can check it.

BTW, it's best if you format the equations with LaTeX, instead of having to carry a bunch of parenthesis along with plain text. There is an introduction to LaTeX in the PF FAQ thread in the Feedback Forum here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617567

:smile:

Last edited:
If your 6 is a typo and should be an 8, then fine but I'd call it 1/Z not 1/Rt. 1/Z is the Admittance = 1/Imped.
Then apply impedance to Ohm's law (ac form)
V = IZ

where [itex]V = V_0 exp(j \omega t), I = I_0 exp(j \omega t + j \phi )[/itex].

You get I as a complex multiple of V and so can get its magnitude to find peak current. For power dissipation you will need to take into account the phase shift [itex] \phi [/itex] since current and voltage won't peak at the same time.

Related to Calculating Current Supplied by Voltage Source (Complex algebra)

1. How do you calculate the current supplied by a voltage source using complex algebra?

The current supplied by a voltage source can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the impedance of the circuit. The impedance is a combination of the resistance and reactance of the circuit, which can be represented by complex numbers in algebraic form. Therefore, the equation for calculating current is I = V/Z, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and Z is the impedance.

2. What is the significance of using complex algebra in calculating current from a voltage source?

Complex algebra allows us to take into account both the resistance and reactance of a circuit, which are important factors in determining the current flow. By using complex numbers, we can accurately represent the phase difference between the voltage and current in an AC circuit, which cannot be done using only real numbers.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating current from a voltage source using complex algebra?

Sure, let's say we have a circuit with a voltage source of 10V and an impedance of 5 + j3 ohms. Using the equation I = V/Z, we can calculate the current as follows: I = 10V / (5 + j3) ohms = 2 - j1.2 amps. This means that the current has a magnitude of 2 amps and a phase angle of -36.87 degrees (or 323.13 degrees in polar form).

4. What are the limitations of using complex algebra in calculating current from a voltage source?

The main limitation is that it only applies to AC circuits, as DC circuits do not have reactance. Additionally, it assumes that the components in the circuit are linear, which may not always be the case. Also, the calculations can become more complex when dealing with multiple sources and components in a circuit.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating current from a voltage source?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using Kirchhoff's laws or Ohm's law. However, these methods may not be as accurate as using complex algebra, especially in circuits with reactive components. Additionally, these methods may not be applicable in more complex circuits, whereas complex algebra can be used for circuits with multiple sources and components.