Calculating current in an unbalanced wheatstone bridge?

In summary, the unknown 5 parameters are I1, I2, Ix[through RSensor], I4, and Ig[through Ammeter]. The 5 equations are: I1-Ig-I2=0, Ix+Ig-I4=0, I1*R1+Ig*Rg-Ix*Rsensor=0, I2*R2-I4*R4-Ig*Rg=0, and I1*R1+I2*R2+(I1+Ix)*RX+(I2+I4)*RY=12Neglecting Rg[Rg=0]. If the ammeter is missing (R
The-Steve
Capture_zpsxfss8vvz.png
I am having troubles understanding how to calculate the current at RSensor when RSensor is 110 Ohms. Any help would be appreciated.

Likes drvrm
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is your procedure. ((100+100) in parallel with (110+100))+270+270 is the total resistance. Can you do the rest?

In your circuit the current is being fed from two terminals kept at say +V and -V volts so effectively you are driving the circuit by a potential difference of say 2V volts - the you apply the Ohms law and calculate the current in the two arms of a loop which does not have a source of EMF-so you can apply Kirchhoff's loop equation and can get a relation between the different current in the two arms. as the R-sensor differs by 10 ohms only from the other arm the difference in current will come out to be pretty small.
well i do not guess where lies the problem of calculation-
you have to use one relation P.D. (2V) = sum of Current X Resistances if you are traversing a path from one terminal to another;
and the other relation is in a looop sum of currentX resistances = the EMF of source =0
The two arms of the loop gives you equivalent resistance 1/Req = 1/200 + 1/ 210'
if you move on those lines the current in Rsensor comes to approx. 2/55 amp. and in other arm about 21/550 amp.
well i do not know whetheri could interpret your problem correctly!

Unbalanced Wheatstone Bridge.jpg

In my opinion, the actual Wheatstone Bridge circuitry is as in attached sketch.

In this case, the unknown 5 parameters will be I1,I2,Ix[through Rsensor],I4,Ig[through Ammeter].

The 5 equations are:

I1-Ig-I2=0

Ix+Ig-I4=0

I1*R1+Ig*Rg-Ix*Rsensor=0

I2*R2-I4*R4-Ig*Rg=0

I1*R1+I2*R2+(I1+Ix)*RX+(I2+I4)*RY=12

Neglecting Rg[Rg=0] Ix=0.008895 A

Using the loop method, only 3 equations are needed. Choosing the loop currents I1, I2 and I3 like this:

UWB.jpg

we then set up the 3 equations in matrix form like this, including the resistance of the ammeter Rg to obtain a more general solution:

WheatCurr.png
I2 (green) is the same as Ix, and I3 (blue) is the current through the ammeter. Setting Rg = 0, we obtain Ix = 8.895 mA.

If the ammeter is missing (Rg = ∞), then Ix = 9.112 mA.

Last edited:
Likes Babadag and drvrm

Related to Calculating current in an unbalanced wheatstone bridge?

What is a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is an electrical circuit used for measuring unknown resistance values. It consists of four resistors connected in a diamond shape with a voltage source and a galvanometer. When the bridge is balanced, the galvanometer will read zero and the ratio of the known resistances can be used to calculate the unknown resistance.

What is an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge?

An unbalanced Wheatstone bridge is when the ratio of the known resistances is not equal to the unknown resistance, resulting in a non-zero reading on the galvanometer. This can happen due to variations in the resistors' values or external factors such as temperature changes.

How do you calculate current in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge?

To calculate the current in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge, you can use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) where I is the current, V is the voltage across the unknown resistor, and R is the unknown resistance. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of current calculation in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of current calculation in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge. These include variations in the resistors' values, temperature changes, and external interference. Additionally, the accuracy of the measuring equipment and the skill of the person conducting the experiment can also impact the results.

How can you improve the accuracy of current calculation in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge?

To improve the accuracy of current calculation in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge, you can use precision resistors with low tolerances, minimize temperature changes, and shield the circuit from external interference. It is also important to use high-quality measuring equipment and to carefully conduct the experiment to reduce human error.