Calculating Current and Power in an Aluminium Wire: A Homework Guide

• Thread starter KTTxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
But the idea is that the resistance is very small, and the current very large, and that is why we use high voltage to transmit power instead of high current. In summary, the use of high voltage in power lines is to minimize resistance and maximize efficiency, allowing for the use of smaller and more manageable currents. This is why we use a set voltage instead of a set current in power lines.
KTTxx

Homework Statement

You are working for the power company and wonder why we use a set voltage of power lines instead of a set current. You test your system on 38 m of aluminium wire with a diameter of 10.0 cm. The resistivity of aluminium is 2.65e-8 Ohm*meters. You place a 9000 Volt potential difference across the wire.
a. What is the current through the wire?
b. What is the power lost from the wire?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. First, i need to find the Resistance of the wire by using equation R = pL /A
p = 2.65 e-8, L = 38 m, A= pi * (.05 m) ^2
Then i find the Current by I = V / R. I plug in the number, and i keep get the wrong answer.

For the power lost: Can i use the equation P = I * V ?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
KTTxx said:
1. Homework Statement
You are working for the power company and wonder why we use a set voltage of power lines instead of a set current. You test your system on 38 m of aluminium wire with a diameter of 10.0 cm. The resistivity of aluminium is 2.65e-8 Ohm*meters. You place a 9000 Volt potential difference across the wire.
a. What is the current through the wire?
b. What is the power lost from the wire?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. First, i need to find the Resistance of the wire by using equation R = pL /A
p = 2.65 e-8, L = 38 m, A= pi * (.05 m) ^2
Then i find the Current by I = V / R. I plug in the number, and i keep get the wrong answer.
What answers do you get for resistance and current?
For the power lost: Can i use the equation P = I * V ?[/B]
You can, yes. There are also two other forms of power equation that you can use: P = I2R and P = V2/R.

gneill said:
What answers do you get for resistance and current?

You can, yes. There are also two other forms of power equation that you can use: P = I2R and P = V2/R.

For the current, i get 70194473.39 A... , R = 1.23e(-4)

KTTxx said:
For the current, i get 70194473.39 A... , R = 1.23e(-4)
The values are good for the problem as stated, although you might want to use scientific notation for the current value and show only a reasonable number of significant figures.

Related to Calculating Current and Power in an Aluminium Wire: A Homework Guide

What is current and why is it important?

Current is the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is important because it allows electrical devices to work and power to be delivered to homes and businesses.

How is current measured?

Current is measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter. This device is placed in series with the circuit and measures the flow of charge through it.

What affects the strength of current?

The strength of current is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material used in the circuit. Increasing voltage or decreasing resistance will result in a stronger current.

How do you calculate current?

Current can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be written as I = V/R.

How can you find the current in a complex circuit?

To find the current in a complex circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of the currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that junction. This allows you to use algebraic equations to solve for the current at any point in the circuit.