Calculating Cosine Sum: Solving Complex Equations for Even Roots

• Thread starter Dinheiro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of a sum involving cosine functions, with a suggestion to use complex equations and the formula for cosine in terms of the complex exponential. The original poster also mentioned trying to find what was missing in their attempt at the solution.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

Calculate
[itex] cos\frac{2\pi}{2n+1} + cos\frac{4\pi}{2n+1} + cos\frac{6\pi}{2n+1} + ... + cos\frac{2n\pi}{2n+1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Complex equations, maybe :p

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say
[itex] z^{2n+1} = 1 [/itex]
The sum is equivalent to the sum of the real even roots of the equation above. That's it. Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

Calculate
[itex] cos\frac{2\pi}{2n+1} + cos\frac{4\pi}{2n+1} + cos\frac{6\pi}{2n+1} + ... + cos\frac{2n\pi}{2n+1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Complex equations, maybe :p

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say
[itex] z^{2n+1} = 1 [/itex]
The sum is equivalent to the sum of the real even roots of the equation above. That's it. Ideas?

What are YOUR ideas?

Those were basically my ideas, I just didn't write down my complete attempt at the solution, sorry. But I could find out what was missing in my resolution xD Thanks, Ray

How are we supposed to see what's missing if you don't show us what you did?

You mention that, in the complex plane, the given arguments lie equally spaced about the unit circle so did you consider using [itex]cos(z)=(e^{iz}+ e^{-iz})/2[/itex]?

Actually, I didn't solve it this way, but nice one though! Thanks, hallsoflvy

Related to Calculating Cosine Sum: Solving Complex Equations for Even Roots

1. What is the purpose of adding cos in scientific calculations?

Adding cos, or cosine, is used to determine the length of a side of a right triangle when the angle and length of another side are known. It is also used to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a vector.

2. How is cos calculated?

Cosine is calculated by dividing the length of the adjacent side of a right triangle by the length of the hypotenuse. This calculation can also be done using trigonometric identities or through the use of a scientific calculator.

3. Can cos be used for non-right triangles?

No, cosine can only be used for right triangles. For non-right triangles, the law of cosines is used to determine the length of a side when two angles and the length of a third side are known.

4. What is the range of values for cos?

The range of values for cos is between -1 and 1. A value of -1 represents a negative one, while a value of 1 represents a positive one. The value of 0 represents a right angle or a non-existent angle.

5. How is cos used in real-world applications?

Cosine is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate forces, determine the trajectory of objects, and analyze sound and light waves, among other things.