Calculating Coefficient of Friction on Incline Pulled at Constant Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the coefficient of friction between a crate and an incline, given that the sled is pulled at a constant velocity up a 20 degree incline and the efficiency of the procedure is 42%. The equation for efficiency is mentioned, and the forces resisting the motion upwards are identified as friction, normal force, pulling force, and the weight of the crate. The calculation process is described, and the final result for the coefficient of friction is determined to be 0.86. The question of why only the friction force is considered in the calculations is also raised and addressed.
BunsenBurner1
A sled is pulled 3 meters at constant velocity up a 20 degree incline. the efficiency of this procedure is 42%. Calculate the coefficient of friction between the crate and the incline.

alright I'm completely clueless on this one.
i know that efficiency=output (energy delivered by machine)/input (energy supplied to machine)
but i don't know what other equations I'm supposed put into play here as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
First think what are the forces resisting the motion upward. Then find their magnitudes.

so I've got the force of friction, normal force, pulling force, and mg
Ff, Fn, Fp, mg

and KE and PE are in play here...but...KE can be ruled out and PE would be mg(1.026) so Fp=mg(1.026)?

well i got .73 for mu but I'm not sure if that's right...

If you show the calculation, I can verify it for you. It can't be too long.

ok looking it over again i got a different answer mu = .86
Equation: Efficiency=Wout/Win where W=Force*distance

efficiency being 42%

distance i found by multiply 3*sin20 which led me to find Wo=mg(1.026)

to find Wi --> F=Nu (F being force, N being normal force, u being coefficient of friction)
N=mg(3*cos20)u
Wi= 2.82mgu

so i plugged them in: .42 = mg*(1.026) / mg*u*(2.82)
mg cancels out and I'm left with u= .86
right??

BunsenBurner1 said:
to find Wi --> F=Nu (F being force, N being normal force, u being coefficient of friction)

Why is F only the friction here?

Energy input = increase in PE_grav + work done against friction.
Energy output = increase in PE_grav.

Shooting star said:
Why is F only the friction here?

Energy input = increase in PE_grav + work done against friction.
Energy output = increase in PE_grav.

wouldnt the PE_grav. end up canceling each other out though?

In x/(x+y), do the x's cancel each other?

Related to Calculating Coefficient of Friction on Incline Pulled at Constant Velocity

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a ratio of the force required to overcome the friction between the surfaces and the force pressing the surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction on an incline calculated?

The coefficient of friction on an incline can be calculated by dividing the force required to overcome the friction by the weight of the object being pulled. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required, and W is the weight of the object.

3. Why is it important to calculate the coefficient of friction on an incline?

Calculating the coefficient of friction on an incline is important because it allows us to understand the amount of resistance an object will experience when being pulled on an incline. This information is useful for designing and optimizing systems that involve inclined surfaces, such as ramps, conveyor belts, and vehicles on sloped roads.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction on an incline?

The coefficient of friction on an incline can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, the angle of the incline, and any additional forces acting on the object, such as wind or gravity.

5. How is the coefficient of friction on an incline related to the object's velocity?

The coefficient of friction on an incline is not directly related to an object's velocity. However, if the object is being pulled at a constant velocity, it means that the force required to overcome the friction is equal to the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline. This allows us to calculate the coefficient of friction using the equation μ = F/W, where F is the force required and W is the weight of the object.