Calculating Closest Approach of Colliding Protons

• Thread starter greggle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with calculating the closest approach of two protons colliding head on with energy of 2keV. The conversation includes a discussion on using consistent units and converting from eV to joules. The expert advises that when using eV for energy, only one factor of e should be used in the potential energy equation.
greggle
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you could help me, I seem to be having some problems getting to the correct answer (possibly because of my calculations). If two protons collide head on, both with energy 2keV... show that the closest approach is 7.2 x 10exp-11 cm. Now I know that when the protons are at closest approach then only the potential energy will be considered. Therefore V = q1q2 / r, which for a proton I know is e^2 / r, but for some reason I just cannot get to the right answer and I don't know if it is the way I am using electronvolts and joules. Please help.

Thanks
Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
If one is using cgs units, then make sure all units are consistent, e.g. energy = ergs, displacement/distance = cm, charge = esu's.

Hi, I'm working in joules and eV...I still can't get it to the right answer... one question - to change from eV to joules it is simply multiplication of eV and 1.6 x 10exp-19? I haven't used eV for a very long time and can't quite remember how to do it.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

If you use eV for the energy, then you should onlly use one factor of e in the potential energy. That is U=ke/r is the PE for two protons in the unit eV.

Related to Calculating Closest Approach of Colliding Protons

1. What is the closest distance at which two colliding protons will interact?

The closest distance at which two colliding protons will interact is determined by the size of the protons and the energy of the collision. This distance is known as the impact parameter and can range from less than 10^(-15) meters for high-energy collisions to about 10^(-10) meters for low-energy collisions.

2. How is the closest approach of colliding protons calculated?

The closest approach of colliding protons is calculated using the impact parameter and the speed and trajectory of the protons. This calculation takes into account the repulsive forces between the protons and the attractive forces of the strong nuclear force.

3. What is the significance of calculating the closest approach of colliding protons?

Calculating the closest approach of colliding protons helps scientists understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It also allows them to make predictions about the outcomes of high-energy collisions and test theories about the structure of matter.

4. How accurate are these calculations?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the precision of measuring the speed and trajectory of the protons, as well as the precision of the impact parameter. With advanced technology and precise measurements, these calculations can be accurate to within a few femtometers (10^(-15) meters).

5. Can the closest approach of colliding protons be controlled or manipulated?

No, the closest approach of colliding protons is determined by the laws of physics and cannot be controlled or manipulated by scientists. However, by adjusting the energy and trajectory of the protons, scientists can control the impact parameter and ultimately the outcome of the collision.